Rotary Vise?

Well, I never move the bobbin cradle in line with the hook, I always keep it lower.

No vise ties a better quality fly then any other vise out there. It’s a complete fallacy to suggest that a true rotary vise produces a better quality fly.

I bought a rotary vice a few yesrs ago. Still can't get myself to take advantage of it except to peek at the fly on all sides. I've watched 12-year Olds use a rotary properly. Old habits...

Buy rotary, you'll be glad you did. There's a lot of great vises to choose from, try a few before buying one.

No vise ties a better quality fly then any other vise out there. It’s a complete fallacy to suggest that a true rotary vise produces a better quality fly.
No but, it does allow the tyer to inspect the fly they're tying throughout the process throughout to make sure it's coming out the way they want it to.

No but, it does allow the tyer to inspect the fly they're tying throughout the process throughout to make sure it's coming out the way they want it to.

Yeah but we are all guilty of sloppy terminology. Any vise that allows you rotate the jaws to inspect all sides of the fly is a rotary vise. But I suspect that the OP is referring to a “true rotary” vise, meaning a vise whose jaws can be rotated such that the hook shank remains parallel and inline with itself, and therefore allows rotary tying techniques.

Even a $25 Supreme vise is a rotary vise in the more general sense.

It's not essential to tie a half-hitch and use a cradle to get the thread/bobbin out of the way. You can simply wrap the thread in a few open wraps up to the hook eye, (to get the bobbin somewhat out of the way) then proceed to wrap the material with the vise rotation. Then when it's wrapped, you could unwrap the 4-6 turns that were added by the bobbin hanging while the hook rotated. If you care. In many cases the extra turns of thread are a non-issue and you can just leave the extra thread turns and continue on. (In some cases, admittedly, the extra turns would be undesirable. In which case, unwind the turns and continue. How long does it take to unwind 6 turns of thread?)

Another vote for renzetti. I’d rather have the rotary feature and not need it than the other way around. Not sure how I’d tie these without a rotary (I’m sure it can be done).

Steve
IMG 2727

Last edited:
Reactions: CRB
I have a 15+ year old traveller that you're welcome to if you want it. I've managed to lose the bobbin cradle, but you can get a replacement from renzetti. It's just collecting dust and taking up space, so I'd be happy to see someone use it.

Reactions: Kms
I am a fan of the Peak rotary. Good value for the money.

Back