Rosenbauer's Rabbit's Foot Emerger

T

tctrout

In my newest fly tying tutorial, I feature a fly created by Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis, the Rabbit's Foot Emerger. This is a fly that can be modified to match natural insects, especially over difficult trout. Being an emerger, I prefer to fish this in the surface film, typically seeing only the snowshoe rabbit wing when it's most effective.

I'd love to hear how others fish emergers, especially if different than the style I typically use.

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjjm6GcnEXs[/youtube]

I developed an emerger fly similar to this for many of the mayflies. I change colors and sizes. I tie the snowshoe wing a bit more upright & forward so more of the fly is suspended under the surface.
I fish it in the film while waiting for the hatch to pop off. As you mentioned the only thing I see is the snowshoe wing.
Even when the hatch begins I try to watch the rises carefully. Often times the fish can be seen flashing just under the surface at the emergers. That is the time this fly shines.

O i do love snow shoe. I Usually"no pun" tie mine as troutpoop does. I also use it like a comparadun with no hackle so it sits down into the film. I have a few different colors from natural, some brown, to a dark dun almost black. I like it much better than cdc and substitute accordingly.

Think I'll finally try to bunny foot just for something different. I'm a cdc guy when it comes to these types of patterns. I tear the barbules off the cdc feather and tie in a clump of them rather than tying in the feather with the stem. If I need to shorten the wing I either tear the barbules with my fingers or with a pair of forceps rather than cutting them. Gives it a much buggier look than a wing that's scissor cut.

Thanks for all of the kind words, and some great ideas out there. Good luck with the pattern!

TC

Back