Roof Rod Rack Opinions

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

I've been looking at roof rod rack's for my fly rods for pretty much the last 5 years.

Does anyone have one (store bot or homemade) and how do you like them?

I sort of "justify" the expense as if I've paid $400 and more for a fly rod, the cost of one of these units is like insurance on breakage prevention.

Thoughts?

Not quite to your point but I've been using the sumo rack once I arrive at my destination. From home I travel with the rods in tubes. When I arrive on a trip I put on the sumo and it serves me well for a week or more. Very secure and I'll be driving 65mph sometimes due to the roadways. Rods are put together one time and don't have to be taken apart repeatedly.

Looked into it as well. The cost is outrageous for something thats not a "necessity" for me.

Back in the spring of 2017 we had a memorial for my father in Colorado and my uncle hired a guide to take my brother and myself on a half day of fishing on the nearby Frying Pan River.

The guide from Taylor Creek Fly Shop in Basalt, CO had one of these.

www.denveroutfitters.com

I was very impressed with it and how easy it was to move around to different locations.

I knew that I wanted one because I can move around at my R&G club in the Poconos.

I have the four rod model because I can do a lot of different things like have a rod rigged up for woolybuggers. Another for wet flies, or a dry dropper, or my euro nymph rod, etc.

And then there is my grandfather's Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod and my father's favorite fly rods that I like to fish with to honor them.

I could go on and on about all of these fly rods. The point is that I have gotten my $ worth from this.

I would suggest that you sign up for www.denveroutfitters.com website and pay attention to their many sales. You can get a deal if you are patient and can wait.

As an added bonus, it is very easy to identify my vehicle in a crowded parking lot with such a unique roof rack.

With where I go and the fishing I do, this rod carrier is well worth the $. I understand that it would be overkill and expensive for most everyone else.

My situation is different though, and having all of those rods rigged and ready is great for me. This is also why I only need a lanyard instead of a vest, chest pack, sling pack, etc. My Jeep is right where I am fishing so I don't do very much bushwhacking to get to the stream.

I've been looking at roof rod rack's for my fly rods for pretty much the last 5 years.

Here is one and that stores the rods with the reels up.

https://www.trxstle.com/products/crc-system-v2-0

Canoetripper: Do you know if Thule the rod vaults break down for storage?

I drive all over the country, to PA that's 23 hours, and would like to pack the vault while traveling.

Once I get where I'm going, and don't have to run 75 mph on the interstates I'd install it on the vehicle.

Also, do you experience any wind noise problems with this system?

Any info would be appreciated...

UncleShorty,

What is on my 2005 Jeep Liberty is a Yakima Roof Rack. I have no experience with Thule, but I don't think that they are very much different than Yakima roof racks.

I don't have a problem with my https://denveroutfitter.com fly rod rack carrier on the road at all. That said though, I am only on the interstate from Ravine to I-80 and on I-81(46 miles) and than another 20 or so miles on I-80 East to wherever I exit which is maybe 20 more miles east to Blakeslee.

I am really not on the interstates in PA more than 60-70 miles.

I think that what I have works just fine.

I think that the biggest problem is that fly line doesn't do well in heat so I never leave my fly rods in the vault once I get to where I am going. I get them to room temperature or outdoor temperature upon arrival.

I hope that helps you.

The reason I ask is I got an email from Avidmax to look at their Trxstle model. It's retractable down to 44" and can expand to hold a 10' rod.

I'm disabled and take my highly modified cart from spot to spot when I fish and a rod holder that would keep the rods from getting snagged by a tree limb, etc., would be a prudent move on my part.

My rod vault is 10'

I am not at all familiar with Avidmax.

Whatever works best is the best way to go. I like that I can get in and go factor with these rod vaults.

As posted above, I don't let them sit in that hot aluminum heat very long or else I know that my fly line will start to crack.

I built one back in spring. Had been wanting one for awhile, as I spend a lot of time sneaking fishing in to the grind in small doses. Took me a few days of tinkering and about $100

It gets a lot of questions. I think I also got dirty looks from some dorks on the Battenkill who had one of the $600 prefab ones. Rich people are weird.

GDDu2pzXuf80xEhNQ3OvIMM9qNSF8WG4_E0sTkxmUCcyV99OZrQoF3Dybu0eYqxltqa-swYTJdFDBbke6X9WMFWPk76VjxZjyyxuJaMxfjEGQx1g37d1KMfq9fSViPqsQD7cvGRM6w=w300-h315-p-k

You asked for opinions....You don't need one. Just another over priced gadget. We have been carrying assembled rods in our cars for years. Never a single problem.

I have a 4 banger, River Quiver. I like it. It’s handy. It’s, 10’ long and as the name implies, holds four rods. Is it a necessity, maybe not. But not long after I got the Riversmith, I got a puppy. It’s a pretty safe bet one or more rods may well have ended up broken. She goes with me everywhere.

As far as noise, yes some. I adjusted the clamps and fixed some of it. It’s sturdy, I have driven with it at speeds well beyond the posted limit.
I went about two weeks straight with two four weights and a five strung up and ready. I eventually realized that was kinda silly and swapped out one four for a six. : p

I didn’t buy it cause I’m rich or want some kind of status thing on my car. I bought it cause I saw the value in carrying a couple rods at the ready, and why am I working if not to enjoy myself as I see fit.

DaveS wrote:

I didn’t buy it cause I’m rich or want some kind of status thing on my car. I bought it cause I saw the value in carrying a couple rods at the ready, and why am I working if not to enjoy myself as I see fit.

I'd like to just clarify that I wasn't trying to insult anyone here and their purchased rod vaults. My insult is directed solely at the two strangers who gave me the hairy eyeball.

hooker-of-men wrote:
I built one back in spring. Had been wanting one for awhile, as I spend a lot of time sneaking fishing in to the grind in small doses. Took me a few days of tinkering and about $100

I really like what you've built. I've been toying with building a rod rack and I think your concept is better than what I was thinking about. . . and simpler.

Thanks for the ideas!

For the do it yourselfer you could get a piece of PVC pipe big enough to fit rods and attached reels and put some pool noodles in it ( they are hollow inside, to protect rods. I think you can get threaded caps and then strap it to the roof. You could paint it some woodsy color and even paint your name or a trout logo on it. Maybe $50.00?

Or this...which is like the hooker of men made sorta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdpemd99XO8

Code:
hooker-of-men wrote: 
I’d like to just clarify that I wasn't trying to insult anyone here and their purchased rod vaults.

No insult taken. I understand what your getting at.
I did consider building one, in the end I figured one catastrophic failure would negate any savings, and then I’d be kicking myself.

lark, I recall browsing a number of videos of folks using large diameter PVC and these conduit caps. Roughly the same thing that you're talking about? That approach seems in some ways easier than what I did but also bulkier. That was my deciding factor to go the other route.

I definitely watched the video linked above during my process. I watched pretty much every video I could find (there aren't a ton) and then aggregated the techniques I liked best.

DaveW - Two notes of importance:

1) Male to female PVC plumbing connectors DO NOT screw all the way down to flush. This is necessary for trapping the ammo box/reel case securely against the PVC. However, similar connectors in the conduit aisle of the big box will work. Discovering this distinction required too much time wandering around in retail hell.

2) My original plan was to somehow pad the inside of the PVC tubes with something (like pool noodles or craft foam) to protect rods and guides. Everything I tried made it far too difficult to put in or take out my rods, so they're just in there raw against the PVC. I've decided I'm OK with this - my rods are nothing too fancy and I haven't noted any damage - but I could see this being a major issue for some folks. I did line the bottom of the ammo box with pieces of yoga mat to protect reels, though.

Annoying and I'm too short for one...more of a status symbol

4vrOquV_DPqKsdrtN5hu7zSgZXUhNPOUTb2bkVr5IXwO_MLHQ8bqGwUrSWmfRJONVWeQX0U03q_MUaxlsBHJDTs8zSE_sjc57hr8qPS5f9PDi9QoQ5pHNdqwmACulQx4Eg0eKN6e0g=w300-h315-p-k

Nice work Hooker. What kind of box is that?

So I guess the popularity of rod vaults explains the mystery of so many rods being sold on the secondary market minus rod tubes...

I get it, but to me that is just inviting someone to steal my stuff.

Maybe I spent too much time in the city, but I'll stick with inconvenience of breaking down rods, my 12 year old ride with no fishing stickers on it and parking next to people with rod vaults... ;-)

Back