Roll casting ?

C

Canoetripper

I'm headed back to the Poconos this weekend even though I know heavy rain is in the forecast but I have already rented a nonrefundable cabin so I have to make the most of my weekend.

I know that I will have to fish sub-surface with weighted cone-head woolybuggers that I can't cast. I know that where I am going, I can find places to roll cast, drift, and strip.

My question to the board is what is easier to roll cast? A slow action 6 wt. or a fast action 5 wt. The 6 wt. is 8' 6" and the 9 wt. is 5 wt.

I also have an old Fenwick 7' 6 wt.

Thanks in advance.

I would take the extra 6 inches.

Bring all 3 rods and play around to see what you like best. If I had to choose one, I'd take the slow action rod. Likely easier to load a roll cast on small Pocono creeks.

I fish the Tobyhanna which can kind of be a big stream, but I will definite try all three of my fly rods that I will bring and see what works the best.

I don't think that this weekend will be best for my 3 wt.

I'd probably start with the 9'5wt. Might have some luck high sticking with some tungsten nymphs, if wading isn't too difficult. Roll casting tungsten buggers generally isn't going to go well no matter what rod you use, IMO. Bring the 6wt and see what works.

Though... if it's a fast 5 and a slow 6 they'll probably have close to the same action. Might try overlining the 5wt so you can slow it down and still keep the additional length. Heavier line might push that bugger a little easier too.

jeremymcon wrote:

Roll casting tungsten buggers generally isn't going to go well no matter what rod you use, IMO.

True. That's not the way to cast heavily weighted streamers.

There are probably some videos on YouTube that show you how to sling heavy stuff around far better than anyone can explain in a post.

You can roll cast heavily weighted streamers but its much easier with a line with a short, heavy head. SA GPX is a decent line to do it with, or you could get crazy and go with something like Rio Outbound Short or Wulff Ambush. I cant stand those lines, but that's for another thread.

I'm guessing you don't have those specialized lines. If I were you, I'd use the 6 weight and keep the leader short and stiff, maybe 2 or 3x and 7' long. I'd use the 6 weight because the 6 weight line will throw heavier flies better than the 5 weight.

It's hard to explain the cast, but you want to lift your rod so the line is dangling downstream of you and you get the bugger to the top of the water or close to it. From there you can roll cast. If your bugger is a deep in the water column when you start your roll cast, its not going to go anywhere. If you get it on top of the water, you'll be able to cast it ok. I'm assuming your talking about size 8 or 10 tungsten buggers.

Youtube will have some decent videos.

Thanks everyone for the replies and advise.

I rented a primative cabin for this weekend and want to make my fishing work as best I can. Hopefully, I can get by on bead-headed wolly buggers and sinking tip line. If trout are rising and I can identify the hatch, then my strategy will obviously change. I only saw a total of six rises last weekend. It may be too early for the dry fly season in the Poconos.

I'll just have play with the cards I am dealt with weather wise. I will watch those youtube video suggestions.

I hope you all have a great time at the Jam.

Don't overthink it, just have fun. If the water is very high, dont be afraid to throw a spinner or really any dry fly in flat spots even if you dont see anything rising. Fish whatever way is the most enjoyable for you, theres more than one way to skin a cat.

Try mud run, hickory run, Hayes and fourth run. They shouldnt be that bad barring a deluge tomorrow. Lehigh is out of the question till Sunday when they have a planned fishing release.

As for which rod,any of the three will do. The 9' 5 wt is the 30-06 of fly rods. Seems like there is always a better option for the task at hand, but it it's always capable of doing what ia asked of it.

If it were me, I’d use the fenwick,and a nice level line.
A level line is a joy to roll cast.

My answer would be the longer rod but put a double taper 6wt line on it.

Edit: or i could have read Shakey's post...

Most waters up here are running quite high. Even Mud Run is bad right now. Its 2 minutes from my house so trust me. I would suggest Mauch Chunk above Jim Thorpe as it is fed from the lake and never really gets high after any rain. There are some wild and stocked fish in there and should provide a good time.

Thanks for the update on the high water. The folks at the Evening Hatch told me everything is blown out with rain in the forecast for the rest of the weekend. There is no point in fighting a losing battle. I'm just going to stay home.

I live in Blakeslee and brookie streams are perfect right now. Caught one on a wulff behind the house 30 minutes ago.

Toby and upper Lehigh are high but fishable IMO. Unfortunately more rain tomorrow though. You likely made the right choice.

Thank you for the reply. Blakeslee is going to be my weekend destination now. I have been going there since I was a young boy back in the 1960's.

Prior to just recently, my last trip to Blakeslee was in 2004. We were always good friends with the Kolnick family who owned The Two Sisters. I was bummed to see that the Blakeslee burned down. We were regular customers back when it was the Sport'sman.

I am glad to know that you live in Blakeslee.

CT

With water exploding out of the USGS gage that matters to me, I'm glad I stayed home instead of making the 2.5 hour drive to Blakeslee.

I didn't want to make the drive and not be able to fish and end up wasting time and money in bars in Blakeslee when I can save gas and do that in Lititz.

The trout are safe for another weekend. At least from me. I don't keep them any way, but they better be aware, and are quickly learning of the feathered fowl in the form of bald eagles and ospreys. I've also seen otters there too.

Those predators are hungry and don't practice C&R like most of us do. We can always get something to eat and drink in the local bars where we choose to fish.

Back