rods that you regretted....

Rod i regret buying - rainshadow 9' 4wt blank - i never got along with that rod - couldn't find a line to work with it so it sits in the corner for friends and kids to use - i don't care if they break it.

Rod i regret not buying - Winston WT 8 1/2' 4wt. That rod cast itself and the fly would appear exactly where I willed it. for me it was magic. Feel, accuracy, light weight .

Nice to revisit this topic. Forgot to add:

Regret giving away my Fenwick glass rods in the late 70's, mostly 7 1/2 footers. My dad asked me what I wanted to do with all the glass rods we had in the basement collecting dust. My reply was "give them to someone who can use them". Graphite was better, or so I was told. Not necessarily better, different. Now I have 4 Fenwicks. Would like to come across an FF705 in the future.

DavidFin wrote:
My Sage One...

That said, anyone want to buy it or trade for it?

--Dave

I assume a 590?

If so, what's the price?

On topic of this old thread. I never had a fly rod I regretted buying. I had one that I bought with a single purpose in mind and found I needed a rod more versatile. It was a 363 TXL. I traded it, and the reel and line, for another gun for my collection.

regret ever buying one ...... Sage TCX.

Orvis came out with a one weight rod - I think they were the first company to have that small size if I recall correctly - back in the early "90's. And I was kinda interested in it.
I had a buddy who built rods. And he told me to buy the blank, and he would make it for me. And save me some money.
So I did it.
And I quickly found out that it wasn't very practical for much of anything. Like fishing with a short, wet noodle.
After playing with it some for a year or two, it's been stashed in my attic for over 20 years now

Brookiechaser, I PMed you.

Winston WTs are something special. Just picked up a 7'6" 4wt and it's deadly accurate, as described above.

I regret NOT buying a flyrod once. It was a original Diamondback "Diamondglass" 8 foot 4 weight. The price was right, it was brand new but I just did not have the money at the time. I already own the 7-6" 3 weight version and it is Smoooooooooooth!

I regret not purchasing a Winston Tom Morgan Favorite when they were on closeout a few years back. But, I did purchase a WT 8.5 4wt and yes it does cast very well.

CRB wrote:
I regret not purchasing a Winston Tom Morgan Favorite when they were on closeout a few years back.

Same here.

I can't say I ever owned a rod I didn't like.

Had one old bamboo production rod I rebuilt and didn't particularly like the action. So I sold it. I enjoyed rebuilding it though.

I kinda wonder about all the Rod Numbers? Why a 7 wt? seems like overspecialization to me? Is there really that much difference between a 7wt. and an 8 wt. or even a 6 wt. on the lower end? I maybe overthinking things? GG :-?

gulfgreyhound wrote:
I kinda wonder about all the Rod Numbers? Why a 7 wt? seems like overspecialization to me? Is there really that much difference between a 7wt. and an 8 wt. or even a 6 wt. on the lower end? I maybe overthinking things? GG :-?

Yes ... you are overthinking this.;-)

It's worth remembering that, strictly speaking, there's no such thing as an "X"wt rod. The "weight" rating is entirely a descriptor of fly line (and even at that, they're prone to creative interpretation). The numbers on the rod are just the manufacturer's recommendation of what line that particular rod will cast best.

Of course, this gets a bit ridiculous when you also look at line manufacturers making lines whose ratings are based on the idea that they feel that particular line will cast best from a rod whose manufacturer recommends a particular line...

Cold wrote:
It's worth remembering that, strictly speaking, there's no such thing as an "X"wt rod. The "weight" rating is entirely a descriptor of fly line (and even at that, they're prone to creative interpretation). The numbers on the rod are just the manufacturer's recommendation of what line that particular rod will cast best.

Of course, this gets a bit ridiculous when you also look at line manufacturers making lines whose ratings are based on the idea that they feel that particular line will cast best from a rod whose manufacturer recommends a particular line...

I have a 6 wt that is more of a 7, A 4 wt that is really a 5 and a 4 wt that is actually a 3 and an 8 wt that is really a 9.
Everything else is OK where it is, except an 8 ft 4 wt Scott Alpha that I have a 5 wt 444 line on that I use for bluegill and bass on small warm-water flies. But it casts a 4 wt just fine.

Other than that, everything else I have casts the line indicated best.
So that's about 1/2 of them that DON'T.

Line weight ratings are a guide, not a guarantee. Think about it like a number for a golf club. One person may chose one and somebody else chose another.

syl

I agree with the sentiment that, with a little flexibility regarding line choice, no fly rod is beyond use.
That being said, I bought a TFO TiCR 9' #5 that I just don't use to fish. I got it when I was considering getting into casting competitions, etc. and it does throw a lot of line in tight loops. But since there are other rods I'd like to have to fish, I guess it is the closest thing to "regret."
What I regret not buying is original Orvis Superfine in one of the #4 or #5. I even worked for them when they were still in production, so I could have had quite the deal. Alas.

Agreed on the TiCr...I have a 6wt TiCr X that I've used maybe 5 times. There's nothing objectively wrong with the rod, I've just got other ones that overlap its role and are more enjoyable to fish.

I have two Cortland Rods... one is a 8'6" 5/6 wt CL graphite... my first rod... decent and I will always keep it as a spare or a loaner. The reel that came with it was not so great and bit the dust.

I also have a 7 wt 9'6" Cortland Precision 4 piece that I use for bass. I just can't feel the love for it at all... maybe it is the big bugs I throw, but I don't think so. I even tried overlining it, but not much help. Since I bass fish less and less as I become more proficient in the streams for trout, I have no plans to upgrade my bass fly rod... I can always use my beloved Fenwick bass rod for spinning on lakes.

My Orvis Hydros... I like that rod, mid flex, 5wt 9'... that I'll always keep.

Back