rods for kids?

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I put the post up the other day about my 2.5 year old catching his first few trout on the fly rod. I think I created a monster because last knight he says to me:

"Want to go fishing tomorrow, Daddy.....I want to use Flies not wormies" This made my day and made me laugh, but if he is interested I might as well give him the kind of fishing he wants. I was letting him hold the cork and such and roll casting for him.

My dilemma is I have a 10'4 weight and crouching down with him, and casting and landing fish is tough.

What size/ make/ model would you suggest for teaching him. I know that for a while it will just be me guiding him more or less, but what would make this easier.

I am thinking a 7'6" 4 weight would cut the mustard, and I could just use the same reel.

Any suggestions? I have seen the echo Gecko rod and contemplated it. But thought a standard rod but in a shorter length may save me some money.

Thanks

You could always take a look at Bass Pro and their White River line of rods. They have lengths that come in 5'6 3wt and a 6'6 3wt.

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Classic-Fly-Rods/product/1401170931243/

I have thought about grabbing one for my two and a half year old as well since she is into fishing with me and love trying to whip the fly rod around.

Right now I have a Redington Form Game Rod and I literally took electrical tape and lashed on an old click/pawl reel that she can use now. The length is great for her. I would be afraid that a 7'6 length rod would still be to much for her to handle. She loves catching blue gill with it.

Walmart sells an eagleclaw fly rod that's around an 7'6 or 8' 4WT. That would be a cheap option. I bought one a couple years ago and I remember it being less than $20.00. The one they sell now looks slightly different if I recall from the one I bought, but they always seem to have one model in stock. It's up on the racks, and not part of any combo package that they have.

Echo makes a fly rod for kids, may pick 1 up for my son. I think it's called Gecko or something like that

Always check guide spacing on low priced rods-makes learning to cast much harder if that's where they cut corners.

eagle claw, 20bucks, solid, dependable, fun. and if the kids don't take to it, you can keep it in the car for yourself, and it's not pink with mickey mouse graphics!

Eagle Claw

Mike, I sent you an email let me know? Joe E

Have an eagle claw IM6 and love it.i think it was around 40 bucks and you don't feel that bad when it gets broke(Been There Did That).

For a kid, this is the Eagle Claw I'd start with - I'm not plugging Amazon, just using their site as an example.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Featherlight-Weight-Yellow/dp/B004APYJIK/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=11A7R7EKV2NW20ZFXGB3

Back