Rod transportation

troutpoop

troutpoop

Do you guys prefer plain rod tubes or rod tubes with the attached reel compartment.
When I drive to a destination it seems ok to have the rods in tubes but then when I reach my destination I have to assemble the whole thing. It would just seem easier to use the ones with the reel compartment.
I must say I usually take two rods wherever I go and I prefer two piece rods.

Any thoughts? Preferences?

For short or day trips, I assemble mine at home and run them through the split back seat from the boot up to the dash.

That way if the river or spot is a bust I can move on.

For longer trips I take 2,3 or 4 rods. And they stay in bags and tubes and the reels go with the fly boxes, waders, staff, net, vest, waterproof etc in the storage tub.

On a trip like that, rigging up is part of the anticipation and enjoyment - a few minutes to smell the roses before you hit the water.

Now I'm a bit older I also don't tye on the fly until I find a seat overlooking the water too.?

I prefer 2 piece rods but I've never used a 4 piece. I rig up at steam side and if I same day drive to another spot I use the rear seat hatch.

I have one nice rod without a tube. I'm trying to decide if I should get a tube for it or just spend the money to get a double case with the reel bag hanging on the end so I can just pull them out and go. I could probably have them strung in there.

i'd buy 4' of PVC guttering and cut a slot 3" by 1.5" in the end.

that will protect it in the car from stuff falling on it etc as good as anything else.

a bud of mine has a wooden rack in the roof of his SUV front and back. he just slides the rod in and a rubber tye holds the reel.

On a trip like that, rigging up is part of the anticipation and enjoyment - a few minutes to smell the roses before you hit the water.

I agree, although I have both types and sometimes put the rod with the reel attached in the case that has the reel compartment when going from one hole to the next.

I NEVER put my rods in my truck without a tube or case. I have a friend who does that all the time and he, on a recent trip to Erie, snapped the tip off his nice Echo rod. He was bummed while I was catching fish.

I find that the few seconds it takes to put it in the case is well worth the peace of mind that it won't get broken.

All my rod cases have the reel section.

I do have a few sections of PVC that I transport rods in...obviously they don't have a reel compartment.

I like 2 piece rods as well; they are easier to make. I use a 3 section rod sock, and put a piece of dowel in the third section to firm it up and protect the rod from over flexing.

To transport in the truck, I put the 2 rod pieces (reel attached to the butt) in the other 2 sock sections and tie the little ribbon to keep them from sliding out, and away I go !

Also - I fold a small 1/4" piece of masking tape over the end of the tippet to keep it from getting "lost" in the reel spool and it also makes threading it thru the rod guides much easier.

Good tip with the tape. I use 1/4" foam and cut small chunk to stick my flies in so they don't hook somewhere deep inside my case.

I prefer to leave my rods rigged up. I keep 2 double tube/reel cases in the back of my truck. I bought 2 cabelas brand rod/reel cases from their bargain cave last year for $35 a piece. Nice solid tube to protect the rod and all I have to do is break it down into 2 pieces and away I go.

troutpoop wrote:
Do you guys prefer plain rod tubes or rod tubes with the attached reel compartment.

I prefer the rod tube with the attached reel compartment.

If I'm flying and take one rod, it goes in its tube. Two rods and I use a double rod/reel case. For short trips near the house, I normally take the rod in its tube and rig up by the car. If the rod is still assembled from a trip the day before, I'll put it in the car fully assembled with the tip on the dash board. I'd like to get one of the Orvis safe passage brief case style rod cases for travel, I think you can fit 5-6 rods in that thing!

Also - I fold a small 1/4" piece of masking tape over the end of the tippet to keep it from getting "lost" in the reel spool and it also makes threading it thru the rod guides much easier.

An easier way to string your rod is to double the fly line and pass the loop through the guides pulling the leader and tippet along. if you drop it, the line will not fall through the guides.

For tippet hanging out of the reel I like a small piece of Velcro attached to the back of reel and this holds my tippet from going in the spool when transporting it.

Rods are assembled in April and broken down in October. Load right in the squaremobile strung and ready to go. Never broken one in 10 yrs doing that. Have snapper tips off loading into fancy rod rack which now collects dust in basement.

one of these rods is an 11' footer all put together.

Attachments

• IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2970.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 4
Yeah but we don't all own a "shaggin wagon" that will fit a rod that size. :-D

Forgot, you drive a compact ! lol

Hey, I can fit a 10' rod in the "toaster oven".

I have a case for my 580-2 that allows for the reel. That's the only rod that doesn't get put in the original rod tube.

sandfly wrote:
one of these rods is an 11' footer all put together.

That van is awesome! I don't think they make them with the wood paneling anymore. Lol.

Back