Rod tips

F

Flydog

I was looking at rods in a new catalog and noticed there were a couple of rods that included an extra tip. What is the purpose of an extra tip? Changes the action? Perhaps, just a back-up???

Sometimes both...usually just one or the other..,but I guess even a tip with a different action could be considered a back up.

Typically xtra tips are made/sold with bamboo rods. Primarily for rotation of use to prevent a set. By using each tip every other time you fish the rod you allow the resting tip to stabalize which prevents it from getting a set or slight bend.

I have never heard of this with graphite or fiberglass rods.

The rod is listed in the The Fly Shop catalog.
Gary Borger's Pro Series ane the H2O.

I've seen several of the smaller rod manufacturers offer an extra tip for their graphite rods in lieu of a lifetime or long-term warranty, because if a rod breaks, 90% of the time it's at the tip section.

Flydog - The reason the Targus rods (Gary Borger Pro Series) come with an extra tip is to keep you fishing if the tip section breaks. Most breaks occur in the tip section as Afish stated, so this is just an added feature. All sections are still covered by a lifetime warranty (repair or replace for $40 + shipping).
I cast the 9' 4wt 4pc version of this rod last year - it feels surprisingly like a Sage Z-Axis in action. Gary also had an 8' 3wt with him that was green in color (Light Touch Series), and it was a sweet little stick with a smooth progressive action.
Gary offered to supply rods and reels for the Pennsylvania team in the Youth Fly Fishing World Championships. and true to his word, the kids from PA each had Targus outfits that they absolutely loved. They used them to good effect and finished 7th in the Championships.
:cool:

Back