Rod Size for smaller streams

Jay_H

Jay_H

I'm newer to FF and have a 9' 5w rod that was passed on to me. I've been focusing a lot on nymphing (mostly with an indicator). My question is that most of the area I'm fishing in has a tendency to be smaller streams/creeks in Central PA and would there be an advantage to going with a smaller (say 7'6") rod? I've read some articles on it and while some seem to say it's more accurate, I read just as many saying that the 9' is standard. I feel like I spend at least a small chunk of my time on the water detangling or pulling my fly out of a low hanging branch.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

I use my 9 ft 4 wt for most of my trout fishing but I have a 6.5 ft 3 wt that is a real pleasure to fish. I've caught a few 20" fish on it with no problem and it is great on small tight streams.

Jay_H wrote:
I'm newer to FF and have a 9' 5w rod that was passed on to me. I've been focusing a lot on nymphing (mostly with an indicator). My question is that most of the area I'm fishing in has a tendency to be smaller streams/creeks in Central PA and would there be an advantage to going with a smaller (say 7'6") rod?

Much of this depends on the size and physical characteristics of small streams. Small is relative. To many of us "small" means brook trout streams that are just a few feet across. Even on these streams, many folks really like their long, 9' rods. Where I fish, the brook trout streams are very small and heavily vegetated with rhododendron and a 9' rod is too long. I definitely prefer short rods. On small spring creeks with a more open canopy and where the vegetation is in and along the stream rather than over your head. . .the long rod can really help.

All things considered, there are just so many types of small stream conditions that it's really impossible to say what rod is best. The 9' 5WT that you have is ideal for the type of nymphing you're doing. If budget allows, you might enjoy having another rod around 7' in 4WT for smaller streams.

7 1/2 ft, 4 wt.

I agree with Dave's comments that "small stream" can be relative. That said, a 7.5 ft 3 or 4 wt. would be a nice complement to the 9 ft 5 wt you already have.

+3 to all above ^

A 9' 5wt works, but if you have the money, buy a small stream rod. But no need to spend too much. The reel is just a line holder for sure in small streams and a rod that loads and casts well at short distances is what you should be looking for in a rod.

A 7' or 7.5' rod is short enough in a 3 or 4wt.

One suggestion is to try overlining the rod a line weight or two since you will be casting 5' to 10' and maybe 15' of fly line at most.

Consider buying a 7' or 7.5' 3wt or 4wt and cast a 5wt line. In this case you can just buy just the rod and use the same reel and line you now own.

I suggest you find a local fly shop, take your reel and line with you with a 7.5' leader and test cast it. Be sure to focus on how it casts short distances which is the real purpose of the rod. Try out as many rods as you can, and again no need to drop a bundle.

Good luck on your search.

Another thought: Rod action. Many rods now produced have fast+ actions. There are also rods made specifically for small stream and/or light tippet fishing.

I have an 8'1" Sage LL CIRCA 1986. It's a great small stream rod. It's long enough for bow and arrow casts. It also shoots line well. It's handy to have 10' of line in the ari and shoot 30' on long, flat pools.

I have my dad's old Sears Ted Williams fiberglass rod from 1952. it is typical of the kind of mid-full flex that works well on small streams.

One other thought: I mostly fish for brookies with foam or bushy dries that take a beating and keep on floating. These flies tend to be wind resistant. If you go lighter than 4 WT you may have difficulty casting these kinds of flies. YMMV.

7'5" 4 wt. It's an old Kunan rod, love it. :-D

I am in agreement with Dave. On a small spring creek that is relatively open, the extra length is often very beneficial to help deal with cross currents, weeds, etc.

On small headwater streams however, fishing a longer rod can become a PITA, and often limits where you can fish. It usually isn't getting the fly to where it needs to be, as a flip or bow and arrow can often land it where you want it. The difficulty for me comes when you need to try to set the hook on a strike. You will often bang the rod off branches or be forced to make an awkward sideways or saltwater set.

I learned to fly fish on a 7 ft. 4 wt., and got to the point where I could use it pretty much anywhere. I have since added longer rods to my arsenal, and find them useful in many situations. But a tight brookie stream usually isn't one of them.

If anyone is interested in shorter flyrods do some research on Ed Shenk. He was from Carlisle area and I believe he built and fished fly rods that were around 5 ft long.I think they took 4 wt lines. I never saw one but assume they were fiberglass. I have tried small fly rods but never had much luck with any under 6.5 ft. 3wt. My 6.5 ft is springy and can really shoot line up under the tree tunnels on some of the little creeks I fish. I mostly fish dries on it but also small streamers. It is a blast to use. I have a bunch of rods I never use but I have found three that do everything for the types of fishing I enjoy. 7wt 9ft, 9ft 4 wt and 6.5 ft 3 wt. I mostly fish trout and bass.

Your longer for has the advantage of being able to reach out and just drop your fly into places without ever actually casting and without spooking the fish. I've used 9 foot rods on small waters, 7.5' rods, even a 6.5', I just grab what I'm feeling and use it that day. Seriously, each rod will have it's Advantages and disadvantages and it's best to become well versed in all rods. Just my take on it.

With that said my go-to rod for 99% of my trout fishing no matter how sizable the stream is a 7.5 foot 4 weight.

General advice...Longer is better provided you have the room to use it effectively. Meaning if you can use a 9' rod without banging it off overhanging brush constantly, there are mechanical casting, mending, and reach advantages to having a longer rod, even on small streams.

That said, most of the time, most small stream anglers (myself included) generally fish with a rod shorter than 9'. This is because there are shortcomings that come with longer rods on small streams too...They're harder to hike through brush with, you often don't have room in the canopy to properly cast them, and they're harder to get into the places you need to manufacture the "trick shot" casts that are often required on small streams.

There are guys who like rods as short as 6'0 for small streams, and others who fish small streams exclusively with 9'0 rods. Heck, I've seen some YT vids of guys successfully small stream fishing with their 10'+ Euro nymph rods. All comes down to preference at some point, and understanding there are pros and cons to longer vs. shorter on both sides of the argument. For me, a 7'6-ish rod is about the best compromise of those pros and cons, and what I use most frequently on small streams.

To the OP: Back to the good, general, middle of the road advice...Before you buy, try your 9'0 out a couple times on small streams. You may end up in the camp that likes the mechanical advantages of the longer rod, and is willing to put up with it being too long for some spots. If you feel like you'd benefit from getting something shorter, then do so...If you get something in the 7'0 - 7'6 3-4wt range to pair with your 9'0 5wt, you're set. You can tackle just about any PA Trout situation with those two rods.

I wouldn't want to throw a bobber on a short 3 or 4 weight (but I'm sure plenty of people do it). Dry flies, I'd say a short 3 or 4 weight would have an advantage. Nymphing - your better off with a longer rod. I don't nymph a whole lot but I think a 9'+ 3 or 4 weight would toss bobbers fine.

I use a 7' glass full flex rod or a 7.6' flex tip rod for small creeks/rivers. I never use bobbers with a flyrod - - maybe an indicator.

I live on a smaller trout stream and depending on the water and time of year, I mostly fish a 10.5 ft 3wt nymphing rod. The reach and ease in mending is why I prefer such a long rod on a stream that is 10-15ft wide. There are areas that are difficult to fish with a rod this length but I can fish almost all the water. Most casts are under 20ft. I also fish a 6ft 2wt for dries and a 9ft 6wt with steamers. However the 10.5 can do everything the other rods can that the 6ft can't. The shorter rods are kind of a one trick pony.

Landmarks remarks are what I intended to say- use to shop at the two Ed's store-loved the 5 footer I had-

Back