Rod repair

ian_brown

ian_brown

Yesterday I broke the tip off of my rod in the front door. This was the excuse I needed to upgrade, but I would like to fix my rod to use as a back up or loaner.

It's a cheap rod (about $60), so I'm not going to spend much repairing it. Any suggestions?

If you took a small section off, like 6 inches or so, repairing it may not be too hard. The major question is, was the break "clean". If a crack is running down the rod, than you may not have a shot. But if the tip sheared off nicely or can be cut cleanly, you can put a new tip top on the rod.

Any fly shop should have a few sizes of tip tops. You can bring in the top section, and fit one to the end. It can be glued in place with 30 minute epoxy. Adding a few thread wraps to dress up the rod is nice but totally unneccessary.

Some folks intentionally trim rods down to make a rod action quicker. You may also find that it will cast a slightly different line. For instance it may throw a 6wt DT better than a WF5 now. The more that was trimmed off the end, the more the action will change. Small changes will not be a big deal. Whacking a foot off the end may make for such a stiff action that you could not get a bend in the rod no matter how hard you cast it.

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/rodrepair/

This may help.

Joe E

Like Pad said, it really depends on how much broke off. In my oppinion, anything over 9 inches, the rods a goner. Replacing the tip top is the easiest fix.

I broke the tip off a 5pc Stowaway, about 2 inches. Luckily I took the tip-top off the pc that broke and just glued it on the rod. I don't think the taper changes too much in the first few inches so you may be able to get away simple and cheap.

John

Thanks for the suggestions. I took off the top eight inches, so I doubt I can use the same tip top. I'll try to find a tip that fits next time I head to a fly shp

The new rod, a 5 wt 8'6" Orvis TLS, is lots of fun.

Back