Rod Repair in PA?

G

gibsygoldtop

I have an Echo fly rod that I would like to have repaired, but they don't offer any help with this model anymore. It is the Echo Carbon 8' 4 wt. (Not the XL series)

Tip is broke right before the last eye. Would like to have it repaired if I can - anyone in PA offer good repair work?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I broke the tip off of an Echo switch many years ago and they covered it under warranty. If this is a discontinued model that they don't support any more, you may be out of luck as far as getting a new section. Your best option is probably installing a new tip top, thread and epoxy. The rod will just be a little short. If you're looking for a builder that might be able to do that, I'm a little out of the loop on that. I'd wager there's several folks on here that could help.

Related to your plight, I rolled an older Scott G series up in my rear window on BFC one evening. I was sick. I learned that Scott keeps mandrels for every rod they've ever built so they were able to build me a new section.

I wish you luck.

Thanks, no real sentimental attachment to the rod, the kids use it and it is a great boat rod for them. I just hate to toss it if it can be fixed for a reasonable price.

Echo says they do offer an equivalent rod at 50% off if they can't fix it.. may just go that route.

I would epoxy a new tip top right where it broke and also take Echo up on their 50% off offer. This is assuming they don't require you to mail in the broken rod.

Youtube has plenty of video on how to install a tip top yourself. Pretty simple and if it's for kids/boat use, you're not going to lose anything.

I have an Echo fly rod that I would like to have repaired, but they don't offer any help with this model anymore. It is the Echo Carbon 8' 4 wt. (Not the XL series)

Tip is broke right before the last eye. Would like to have it repaired if I can - anyone in PA offer good repair work?

Thanks!

A repair that far up the blank on a graphite rod would be tricky at best as the usual method for a clean break is to glue an insert inside of the blank called a "stent" and then do a long wrap over that.

Because graphite is thin, finding a good stent wouldn't be easy and many rod builder/repair people use a length of steel wire when the ID of the blank is really small.

The other alternative is cutting the blank off at the break and adding a new tip top. However, if the blank broke before the last guide, it might be difficult to fine a fly rod tip top that will fit over the blank.

In addition, both repairs would effect the action of the rod if that matters.

For that reason I'd take Echo up on the 50% offer and chalk it up to one of those things that happen.

Back