Rod Repair Help/Advice

Barnuba

Barnuba

My rod and car window had a fight and the window won...

Looking for recommendations to repair my rod.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 2
Grab a razor blade, cut the lower threads (non tip topside) of the thread wrap/epoxy be careful not to hurt the blank just enough to cut the threads. Slice them and pull the snake guide out. You can probably break the rest of the tip off at this point if not cut it very carefully. Either razor blade or super slow with a fine tooth miter saw (electric circular kind not miter box and hand saw).

Grab the threads you cut and pull them off carefully they should just peel off with a little pull. Take a lighter and a bamboo chop stick heat the rest of the epoxy with the lighter carefully, only enough to make the epoxy soft and plyable. And use the chop stick to scrape away the left over epoxy.

Go find a tip top that will fit, most fishing places will have tip tops, snake style(light wire) are alittle harder to find. If you find one that fits epoxy or tiptop glue or compound bow sight glues works as well ussuall melt the glue with fire and a drop will do ya. Put it in place, but be quick you've only got a few second window before it sets up.

Thats about it. If you're not sure what size and have a pair of caliper micometers you can measure then order the exact size. Good luck.

And also there is no way of saving the rest of the broken tip, that I know of. It will change the rod a bit, abit faster stroke and a bit heavier weight wise but youll be fine running the same line you have now.

yes basically you will have to cut off the snake guide and try to find a tip top to fit it. Or you will have to try and send back and see if the fee to warranty replace it is reasonable.

you can also try to take that snakeguide off and tape the blank then wrap over it but this will mostly likely fail in the end. I wouldnt recommend this either.

my recommendation would be to contact white river or bass pro and see what it would cost just to replace the tip.

Is there a Warranty?

it may be possible to sleeve the break, either internal or external, then rewrap the guide back on, maybe relocate it a bit to hide the repair.
I've repaired similar breaks and have had good results. in the meantime, you could simply glue on another tip top, just measure the end where the break is, tip tops are sized in 64ths, might cost you a couple bucks and some 5 minute epoxy, you would have a usable rod for the rest of the year, then find someone local to fix it better over winter.

I would suggest hot glue over epoxy for putting the tip back on. In a pinch, you'll find rod tip repair kits in places like Sprawlmart which will come with a few tips.

One of those will work.

Or, y'know, see if Bass Pro Shop will replace a rod that broke while "fighting a fish." That's, remarkably, how all rods with warranties break.

I have had two fights with windows and both flyrods were replaced by Orvis...I told them the truth.

Back