Rod & Reel for Limestone Streams

Char_Master

Char_Master

I'll be fishing limestone streams in SCPA for the first time later this month, primarily the Yellow Breeches but possibly Big Spring if I have time. All of my experience fly fishing has been on freestone streams, smaller local lakes in SWPA, and on Lake Erie, so I have no idea what to expect from Limestone creeks other than that they have a larger biomass than freestone creeks.

As far as gear goes, I'm thinking of getting myself a new setup that I can use not only for the Yellow Breeches but also for larger wild trout on freestone streams and for stocked trout. The two setups I use for inland trout now include a 7' #3 for native Brookies (it tends to be a bit light for stockers) and a 9' #5 I use primarily for warm waters like Sunfish, Bass, and hopefully soon Carp (this setup is a bit heavy for stockers). So, for a new setup, I was thinking a 9' #4 rod with a nice arbor reel (never used arbors) with a natural/neutral color weight forward floating #4 line.

Does anyone have any suggestions for brands of rods, reels, and lines I should look in to? I don't want to break the bank, but I certainly want a quality setup, so I'd say I'll set my limit at $300-325 maximum for the total of both the rod and reel. Also, like I said, I've never used arbors, so how much main line and how much backing (if any) should I spool one up with if using #4 WF floating line?

Thanks for the help, guys!

While there isn't any one perfect rod (flies, conditions, etc. will dictate that), I used an 8'6" 5-weight on those streams 90% of the time. If you get a more delicate 5, it will be suitable for the inevitable tricos, midges, and other smal dries. Plus a 5 will have the backbone for a decent-sized streamer. I liked the 8'6" because you'll often have fish at your feet or under riparian obstructions. I think losing the 6" from a 9' gives you a little more control, but doesn't limit our casting.

The reel is all about preference. A click and pawl, handled with the slightest level of expertise, will suffice. But these days lightweight disc reels are so cheap, so they're hard to pass up. For trout, arbor and backing is generally irrelevant on these streams.

Check out Douglas' rods. High end and a great value. Risen Fly is a PA company that will give you way more than the $ value indicates.

Good luck!

What reel do you have for your current 5-weight setup? Getting another spool for that might be an economical way to put more $ in a rod and line.

More thoughts!

Current #5 reel is a scientific anglers system 2. Not sure of any more details because a coworker of my dad gave it to him to give to me. Pretty nice reel, the main thing with the setup is the rod which is a custom G. Loomis. Again, very nice, it's just much heavier than my other fly rods. Perfect rod for streamers, which is the type of flies I use the most, but it's a pain to use for roll casting smaller nymphs and casting dry flies because it's hard to finesse-fish with.

I use 9' 5wt to 7' 3wt on the streams mentioned. Personal preference and anything in between will work just fine.

From the water you described I'd go with a 5wt. 8'6" or 9'.

Regardless of how light you may go, if the water is high or it's a little windy and you want to fish a big dry, a 4wt won't be fun. It will get the job done, but it won't be fun.

Get a Winston BIIIx, you'll be able to cast a variety of flies and have a lot of fun fishing dries, too. It's faster than people give it credit for, but it won't cast past 50'-60' without some zen-like focus.

If you've never fished the Cumberland valley streams before, it's important to note that the breeches fishes differently than the other limestoners. The breeches flows like a freestoner (in most areas), while big spring, letort, and other limestoners are a totally different beast. My personal preference multi-purpose rod is a 9' 4 wt. Gives you enough length to nymph runs on the breeches and enough reach to steer your fly through the weed beds on big spring. Also soft enough touch to land dries softly if you hit some risers. Just my $0.02.

it would be hard to beat your current reel.that's a good one.

i think you might be happy with a shorter five weight to pair it up with. like 8 feet .

I haven't fished it, but the 864 ONE will be on sale real soon and I've heard that it's a hell of a dry fly rod/the most well received size in the line. If it's anything like the ones I've used it will handle nymphs and most streamers no problem.

I use:

An 8"6" 5wt on the Letort, used to use an 8"0" 6wt.

An 8'0" 5wt on Big Springs.

A 7'6" 5wt on Green Springs.

A 7'6" 4wt on the upper end of the Breeches and an 8'6" 5wt, 8'6" 6wt or 9'0" 5wt on the lower Breeches.

NEVER had an issue with line weight despite fishing size 24-16 dries because most casts are short and I like a long leader on all of those streams.

I'd say 8-8.5' 4-6 weight. Below are some options that aren't super expensive, should work for those streams, and won't overlap with what you have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orvis-Vintage-Rocky-Mountain-Series-Fly-Rod-79-2-3-4-Ounces-5wt-2-Piece-/152121274476?hash=item236b22706c:g:jgAAAOSwnNBXWF8b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orvis-Trout-8-ft-6-graphite-fly-rod-in-excellent-condition-/262477299579?hash=item3d1cddbf7b:g:JqwAAOSwzJ5XWc39

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Lamiglas-IM700-7-1-2-foot-5-weight-2-piece-fly-rod-/201603250976?hash=item2ef07d7b20:g:CN0AAOSwiYFXLl~4

Char_Master, did you ever settle on an outfit?

Back