Rod recommendation

silverfox wrote:
A few years ago a bought a Redington Classic Trout in 7'-6" 2 wt w/ their 2/3 Zero reel exactly for this purpose. I have to say, I've been extremely pleased with this rod. It has decent action and casts nice enough, but what impresses me the most is it's durability.

I've actually thought to myself multiple times recently that I'm amazed it hasn't broken yet. I'm brutal on that rod. I'm always crawling through mountain laurel and getting it hung up on branches, bent, banged on rocks and branches etc. So far, it's held up surprisingly well.

My thought with that rod is that it's not a ton of money and I knew it would be put through abuse. One of the best rods I've ever bought in that regard. Highly recommend for small stream fishing.
I use a Reddington Classic too, but the one I take on these types of streams is an 8-6 5wt. The medium action works great and seems to be a decent shock absorber when I get hung up in trees. I typically don’t lose any flies. I also have a Reddington Classic in a 7-6 3wt, but I’ve never taken it when fishing small wild trout streams. I use it on larger streams to throw midges.

troutbert wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:

But now pretty much always use an old Orvis Far and Fine rod on small streams - 7'9" 5 weight.

Do you want to sell it?

:)

I just bought it a few years ago
And it's become my "baby"

I have seen them for sale on ebay

riverwhy wrote:
Although I love the feel of a soft rod on small streams like my old Kunnan, what I don't like is how the extra flex seems to propel flies into the trees when I free it from being hung up on the bottom. The extra flex also make it harder to rip it free from small branches once it is in the trees.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I was beginning to think I was the only one who had an old Kunnan. I got it back in my Harrisburg days when they shuttered. I broke the tip a looooong time ago doing this very thing. Never repaired it.

JimKennedy wrote:
6'6" eagleclaw glass. bam,done
+2

kind of surprised there's only three of us :)

shakey wrote:
JimKennedy wrote:
+2

kind of surprised there's only three of us :)

It's certainly not a bad choice, although I'd prefer a slightly longer rod, either 7' or 7 1/2'.

What the OP wants is definitely in glass's wheelhouse. I might spend a bit more and go with the latest generation Butterstick, but I'd happily fish the Eagle Claw in those conditions. And you can't go wrong for the price.

I use a 7.5 Fenwick Feralite glass that's very nice in tight quarters and small waters. You can find them on the fiberglass resale forums or the auction site.

If its not a total bushwack job then I'll opt for bamboo.

Or just skip the phase of fishing tiny streams for tiny trout (and leave them alone in their refuge as someone said) and move to the inevitable of fishing larger streams and buy a nice 9 ft 4 wt and be done with it. Your waders will also thank you as brush busting destroys them too. Older flyfishers don't waste their time on hot dog sized trout and we have all seen more than enough of the pretty colors on hand sized gems. IMHO Just kidding. Sorta.

avocet wrote:
Or just skip the phase of fishing tiny streams for tiny trout ...
I love fishing tiny streams for tiny trout. In fact, I go out of my way to find them. It's by no means a phase, more a passion.

avocet wrote:

Older flyfishers don't waste their time on hot dog sized trout and we have all seen more than enough of the pretty colors on hand sized gems. IMHO Just kidding. Sorta.

From what I've seen, most young, beginning flyfishers don't fish those streams much or at all.

It's usually only after some years of fly fishing experience that people begin to appreciate the qualities of fishing the small freestone wild trout streams.

A lot of middle-aged and older flyfishers love fishing the mountain streams.

You might want to check these out. Looks like they have a 6 piece model which would be handy packing it in a pack or strapping to the outside.
https://douglasoutdoors.com/fly-rods/upstream/

shakey wrote:

Phil Baldacchino of Kettle Creek Tackle Shop used to make some nice short fiberglass rods for small streams. Not very expensive as I recall.

Delete. I have no business posting in this thread

Check out cabelas CGR glass rods - I bought a 6’3” 2 weight for tiny brookie streams and absolutely love it - it’s a really fun little rod to fish. It’s also a steal at $60 or whatever I paid for it. They likely have a model that will suit you. Also a 5 inch brookie bends the thing in half!

I also second those who mentioned redington classic trout - I have a 7’6” 3 weight which is a fantastic rod and also a steal. It’s one of my favorite rods. The 3/4 redington drift reel balances it perfectly.

birdog wrote:
You might want to check these out. Looks like they have a 6 piece model ...
https://douglasoutdoors.com/fly-rods/upstream/

IMO, bushwhacking with a 6 piece rod is just asking to lose a section of rod. When I'm in dense brush, the fewer sections the better.

Back