rod/line wt for central PA during "bug season"

K

kbobb

All, I will be putting together a new rod for use on central PA streams, primarily for the big bug season of drakes, MB, etc. thinking it should be a 5 wt but wondered what your experiences are on Penns, Fishing, little J size fish and bugs with a 4 wt or 5 wt. Do you prefer one over the other? Is the 4 wt too light?
Also have been impressed with the fish fighting/holding properties of fiberglass rods for a few years now. I don't seem to have hooks pull out using softer rods like glass, bamboo, and old graphite compared to stiffer (graphite) rods.
thanks

I go with a 5wt for fly size reasons and distance reasons with those fly sizes although I'm sure you'll get other opinions.

Glass blank-wise there are more than a few great options.

Good luck!!

I go with a 5wt for fly size reasons and distance reasons with those fly sizes although I'm sure you'll get other opinions.

Glass blank-wise there are more than a few great options.

Good luck!!
Agreed. If glass is your preference (it and and cane are mine) there are lots of good options in 8 foot five weights.

For central PA I use an 8'-6" 4wt. It covers all areas of need for that area, but thats just personal preference.

I tell everyone a 9' 5wt is the all around rod to use around here unless you are brookie fishing.

I don't think a 9' 5wt exists in a glass...I could be wrong though.
I agree. If one does, it's too much of a noodle to be a general purpose rod. Eight foot five weights are a very common configuration, though.

You got is right (IMO) 4 or 5. I use softer rods as well. Joe. E

Thanks folks - looking at a moderate action 9' 4 or 5wt graphite or an 8 1/2' 5 wt glass - the Mcfarland GTX looks nice but a little pricey.

If you are using graphite you could go 4/5 .
If you are using glass or cane , 5 is great.
However, I think with cane , you can even go as heavy as 6.
A graphite 4wt seems to have about as much backbone as a bamboo 6 wt, but , with more tippet saving give

For drakes on penns, a fiberglass six weight is NOT too much rod .

Thanks folks - looking at a moderate action 9' 4 or 5wt graphite or an 8 1/2' 5 wt glass - the Mcfarland GTX looks nice but a little pricey.
Sometimes his blanks with blemish go on sale.

He makes truly GREAT rods.

Back