Rod ideas?

Cutbow171

Cutbow171

As a high school senior, spending money wisely is tough. When I'm not blowing it on food and the ladies, some managed to make it into my bank account. I'm looking for a good 9'6" 6 wt. that I can throw decent size streamers with for trout and also use for a lighter smallie outfit. I've also been looking for a good all around 5 wt. that can throw dries and dropper rigs well. I'm thinking somewhere in the $250 price range. Summer is coming along with college and I know my bank account will soon run dry. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

A single good 9'0 6wt will cover all those bases well for you IMO. I'd argue that'd be the wisest way to spend your money, as opposed to two lesser quality rods. If $250 is your budget you'll be able to get a very nice rod. Redington, Orvis, TFO, Echo, LLBean, St. Croix, and many others all have good rods in that price range. Go check em' out and see what you like.

I think 6 weights comparatively handle smaller flies better than 5 weights handle bigger flies...if that makes sense. That's my reasoning for suggesting the 6 weight over the 5 weight if you're getting a single rod to do it all with. I just fished sulphurs on Spring Creek this weekend with a 9'0 6 weight for instance. I might have preferred my 5 weight for that application, but my gf was with me and I let her use my 5 weight. The 6 weight did just fine. I used the 6 weight two weeks ago on the Little J with double nymph rigs, and it's my full time Smallie/streamer rod. Great jack of all trades rod IMO.

Either an orvis Clearwater or a TFO. I have a few TFOs and love them because they preform well for the price. I'd check out the TFO bvk if you like faster rods.

Post what your looking for on the swap forum. You will get a lot of rod for less money.

Back