Rod Company Suggestion

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

Used to be that the bamboo makers in the 40s and 50s (at least some of them) listed rods in their catalogs plus listings for butt, mid section or tip, why not now?

I dunno.....but here is a bunny with waffle on its head!

Attachments

• Oolong_last_head_performance.jpg
    Oolong_last_head_performance.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 4
dog food

ya have one

MO - That just gave me the best laugh I've had in a while.
You probably oughta put that in most of the OT threads

littlejuniata wrote:
Used to be that the bamboo makers in the 40s and 50s (at least some of them) listed rods in their catalogs plus listings for butt, mid section or tip, why not now?

graphite?

dryflyguy wrote:
MO - That just gave me the best laugh I've had in a while.
You probably oughta put that in most of the OT threads

I can't take the credit...It was Padraic that introduced it to us here. I just couldn't think of a response to LJ's post and a grin came to my face. :-D

tomgamber wrote:
littlejuniata wrote:

graphite?
....meaning the fact that the ferrules are not universal. And that you can make more money selling the whole rod when one section breaks...or charge for repaiting the broken section.

Why not, from the reports on here how many guys break rods; extra tips would be needed, save the fishing trip

littlejuniata wrote:
Why not, from the reports on here how many guys break rods; extra tips would be needed, save the fishing trip

Rod companies don't care about your fishing trips as much as they do about their profits. I did have a sage repaired and returned once in 7 days to meet a trip. So maybe I'm lying.

7 days is forever in Pa Spring hatches

I have broken two rods one bamboo (but it had two tips)(still have that rod after 50 years) and one graphite (car door) The graphite was a three piece 10 foot 5 weight, sure would have liked the extra tip on that rod, they quit making them, and sent me a different model which was a crappy rod

bamboo is tough if you don't screw it up

I guess customers weren't such big suckers back then??

evidently they wanted their money's worth

LJ,so much for ancient history.The technology for making modern rods is a lot different than splitting bamboo and putting sections together.Short pieces of bamboo, tip
rod sections.You'd need a separate system to produce just tips ,etc.I believe all modern rods are 1 piece and cut into sections and finished from there.

With Chinese rods (most of today's are)

I bet it doesn't cost the rod company's any more than 5 bucks for a tip maybe 7 bucks for a two piece rod tip.

Times are tough for these guys maybe we can talk or force them into it.

I bought a 4 piece rod a while back at KMart, blanks, wrap and finish look just as good as on my Winston's, T&T Orvis

ooopssss forgot

Kmart rod was on sale $29.99 pretty decent cork too

Most rods these days are made in multiple pieces.

When fiberglass rods were first made they were made in one piece and cut. Then the ferrules would either be metal ferrules glued to each end or a spigot ferrule which is a tapered piece of fiberglass glued into the center butt end.

For the last 35 years the tip over butt ferrule first used by Fenwick has become near universal. The tip has a bulge that fits over the butt and requires a separate mandrel - it is larger than the end of the butt so the rod cannot be made in one piece.

One more thing about the cane days - most people had less money for their hobbies and fishermen only had a rod or two. Patching up the misc breaks was a necessity and those patches were a badge of honor for most hard core fishermen. These days most of us have a closet of rods and unless the rod is expensive we may be prone to just throw it out. The US has become a throw away society since then. The more expensive rods have lifetime warranties so we just send for a new piece/rod.

Some glass rods were made with two tips in the early days

that being said we all have multiple rods

but just one favorite

usually

http://uncleginkscave.com/GC-Story-book_of_gink02.html

the reason for two tips on a real rod,oops,i mean bamboo rod ,isn't so much"in case one breaks"but to rest a tip so its fibers straighten out.

you fish tip A one day then tip B the next time you fish.that way the rod is much less likely to take a set,or permanent bend.

you don't really have to worry as much about a set in plastic rods.

(smiley face)

Shakey,

You are correct. However, for my daughter's new 7'2" 4wt. (Quad). I have 4 tips section in the works. Kids you never know, 2 finished and 2 cut to lenght ready to go if needed one day. I hope if the time ever comes and she needs the two unfinished tip sections she'll be making rods on her own. If not she will at least have a few tips that the old man made.

Joe E

i think a seven foot two inch four weight should be tested by an adult before given to a child.especially if it is a multi tipped quad.

please send the rod to me and i will thoroughly test it before you give it to your daughter so that she will be sure that it works right.

(two smiley faces)

Today it would be great if you could chose a rod (2 piece) at whichever price point you desire, then just buy a tip with a different action.

So the young guy starting out would basically have two different rods for just a little more cash

Or if the budget permits a high-end Loomis, Sage, Winston,Orvis
a guy would have basically two different rods with a little more cash

Joe are all the tips the same taper?

Back