Rod choice

Thanks again everyone for the good advice. I already have a ton of rods for bass fishing.(bait/spin) I guess it seemed natural that I also need a fly rod for every technique. I’m going to heed everyone’s advice and stick with what I have. Though, still will get a 3 or 4 piece so I pack in bike bag easier.

If you're not that good at casting, you can definitely get by with the single rod you have now. Learn to use it first, catch fish, then be realistic on what you can't do with it that you want to do. Not making perfect casts doesn't count in that decision.

I'm not sure what you mean by 2 universal rods. You can do drys, nymphs, wets, and small streamers with the 8'6" 4wt while fishing for trout. The first rod I bought was an old used Sage 8'6" 5wt, 2 piece, and I used it for all those flies. Caught fish too. I've since bought a couple 4 piece rods, a 9' 5wt & 6wt, not because I really needed them but because I thought I needed them. Save your money for now & learn to use the rod first.
Disagree. If you are good at casting you can getcaway with a lot MORE with the same rod if by familiarity alone. If you want more rods and have the means. You have a good base. Go test cast some. You'll "get it".

Thanks again everyone for the good advice. I already have a ton of rods for bass fishing.(bait/spin) I guess it seemed natural that I also need a fly rod for every technique. I’m going to heed everyone’s advice and stick with what I have. Though, still will get a 3 or 4 piece so I pack in bike bag easier.
Oh yes, a 4 piece rod is lots easier to transport than the 2 piece rod.

Back