Rod choice

J

Javelin389t

Looking for some advice on what fly rods to buy. Thinking of buying 2 universal rods. I currently have an 8’6 , 4 wt. I fish streams anywhere from 5ft wide and up. I guess question is, can I get by with just 2 more rods for now? Use for drys, nymphs , wets etc. I have been trying to get back into fly fishing on and off the last couple of years. I’m not that good at casting. Also I prefer 2 piece rods. I’ve noticed they are difficult to find in stores.

You won't tell the difference between 2 and 4 PC like in the past. If you're just fishing trout and panfish, your current rod will handle most situations. I got by for 20 years with a 7'-3/4 wt and 9ft 5/6 wt. Both 2pc. I mainly use only my 4pc 5wt and occasionally for bass/Steelhead a 4pc 10ft 7wt. I would use my lighter rod more but just haven't been on that small water recently.

Javelin389t:

I could fish effectively anywhere I go with a 7'0" or 7'6" rod, an 8'0" rod and a 9"0" rod...

You'll get a lot of opinions but I got by with just two rods for a LONG time and IMHO an 8'6" 4wt is good start.

A couple of questions:

1. Do you feel hemmed in at smaller streams with the 8"6" rod and does this happen often?​
2. Do you wish you had something longer at the bigger places and does this happen often?​
3. Are you JUST fishing for trout?​
4. Do you have any plans to do the tight-lining thing?​

If the answer to #1 is YES & YES, consider a 7'6" rod.

If the answer to #2 is YES & YES, consider a 9'0" or longer rod?

If the answer to #3 is YES, consider 3, 4 or 5wt rods.

If the answer to #4 is YES, ask someone else as that's not my area of expertise. ;)

In regards to two piece rods, I own several two piece rods. I like them a LOT, a few were not available in anything other than two pieces and there are some rods that don't feel the same in a 3, 4 or 5 piece version, just ask any rod DESIGNER who makes their own blanks or ferrules their own rods.

HOWEVER, finding a two piece rod is a tough thing anywhere except custom or vintage/used tackle. Neither are a bad thing, I just don't know your preferences or budget.

Good luck

You won't tell the difference between 2 and 4 PC like in the past. If you're just fishing trout and panfish, your current rod will handle most situations. I got by for 20 years with a 7'-3/4 wt and 9ft 5/6 wt. Both 2pc. I mainly use only my 4pc 5wt and occasionally for bass/Steelhead a 4pc 10ft 7wt. I would use my lighter rod more but just haven't been on that small water recently.
I also have a 4 pc. 9ft. 8wt. That I planned on using in saltwater and I’ve used it couple of times in lakes for bass. I’ve been thinking maybe I need a longer rod for the small streams with fast water. That way I would have better reach and not have to cast with all the trees / brush around. Reading some of the in depth posts on this site about specifics makes me realize I have a lot to learn.

Javelin389t:

I could fish effectively anywhere I go with a 7'0" or 7'6" rod, an 8'0" rod and a 9"0" rod...

You'll get a lot of opinions but I got by with just two rods for a LONG time and IMHO an 8'6" 4wt is good start.

A couple of questions:

1. Do you feel hemmed in at smaller streams with the 8"6" rod and does this happen often?​
2. Do you wish you had something longer at the bigger places and does this happen often?​
3. Are you JUST fishing for trout?​
4. Do you have any plans to do the tight-lining thing?​

If the answer to #1 is YES & YES, consider a 7'6" rod.

If the answer to #2 is YES & YES, consider a 9'0" or longer rod?

If the answer to #3 is YES, consider 3, 4 or 5wt rods.

If the answer to #4 is YES, ask someone else as that's not my area of expertise. ;)

In regards to two piece rods, I own several two piece rods. I like them a LOT, a few were not available in anything other than two pieces and there are some rods that don't feel the same in a 3, 4 or 5 piece version, just ask any rod DESIGNER who makes their own blanks or ferrules their own rods.

HOWEVER, finding a two piece rod is a tough thing anywhere except custom or vintage tackle. Neither are a bad thing, I just don't know your preferences or budget.

Good luck
Thanks for the feedback bamboozle. I guess my answer to # 1 would be yes /yes. I had an old cortland 7”6 but it broke at the ferrule 😢 can’t fix. Maybe a 7” 3wt. would be better ? I do like to fish small streams. Mostly trout for the stream fishing. I like the idea of a 9” or + ? for larger streams. Not sure what the tight line thing is ? I still would like 2 piece, but maybe not possible. Budget wise thinking $200 per rod. I also like to actually see/feel the rod as per just ordering online. However I know how difficult it is to actually find a good selection of rods in stores these days. So with the expert advice on this site I could probably be convinced to order a specific rod. I’m sure my budget is on the extreme low side though. I remember getting orvis , Bailey catologs as a kid and back then the prices were way over anything ever imagined I could afford.

Looking for some advice on what fly rods to buy. Thinking of buying 2 universal rods. I currently have an 8’6 , 4 wt. I fish streams anywhere from 5ft wide and up. I guess question is, can I get by with just 2 more rods for now? Use for drys, nymphs , wets etc. I have been trying to get back into fly fishing on and off the last couple of years. I’m not that good at casting. Also I prefer 2 piece rods. I’ve noticed they are difficult to find in stores.
An 8'6" rod is near ideal for trout fishing in PA just about anywhere. No need to buy more rods. Just learn to cast and fish the one you have. Trying to learn and fish multiple rods may actually make you learn curve steeper. Finally, please do not make your rod choice based on the number of pieces the rod breaks down into; it really is no big deal at all. Good luck.

TFO Signature 2 is an affordable 2 piece. Getting by with 2 rods, my finesse in a 5wt and Pro2 in a 7wt, though my 3wt Eagle Claw and 6wt Blue Ribbon would do, also. Don’t laugh at the little Eagle Claw. It has its place
Steve

You won't tell the difference between 2 and 4 PC like in the past.
Sure you can. A four piece still takes three times as long to assemble and break down as two piece, and twice as long to put back into a rod sock. The latter two things make a huge difference when you're dodging lightning. It's also more likely to have a section misaligned or come loose.

Given my druthers, I'd pick a two piece over a four piece any day, unless I was planning on taking it on an airplane.

Sure you can. A four piece still takes three times as long to assemble and break down as two piece, and twice as long to put back into a rod sock. The latter two things make a huge difference when you're dodging lightning. It's also more likely to have a section misaligned or come loose.

Given my druthers, I'd pick a two piece over a four piece any day, unless I was planning on taking it on an airplane.
Just break it down to two pieces if you prefer!:rolleyes:

By that logic everyone should only wear bootgoot waders cuz 4 pcs takes way longer to remove than 2.:ROFLMAO:

He asked about rods, not being afraid to get wet.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’ll probably get a 7”-7”6 4 piece just so I can fit it in a bike bag. Wife and I planning to bike the gap trail from Pittsburgh to Cumberland sometime this spring/ early summer. Hopefully I can sneak some fishing in on the way.

Doesn't fit into the tube that way. Of course, I could probably just buy a new tube.
I think he meant enough to avoid being a lightning rod since that's a big concern. You can put it away properly later.

Thanks for the feedback bamboozle. I guess my answer to # 1 would be yes /yes. I had an old cortland 7”6 but it broke at the ferrule 😢 can’t fix. Maybe a 7” 3wt. would be better? ...

Nobody loves 7'0" rods more than me but a 7'6" rod is WAY more practical...

When I first started fly fishing (which was just after George Washington kicked a couple of Limeys off Valley Creek), folks in PA considered a 7'6" rod the "bees knees" for all but the biggest PA waters.

George & I still concur... ;)

To put it into perspective, the first fly rod I owned was a 2pc/8'6" 6w (I still own it).

The 2nd rod I bought and fished in conjunction with rod #1 was 2pc/7'6" 5wt rod.

That was my entire quiver until the Treaty of Ghent.

FWIW - You could probably replace that 7'6" Cortland rod via the used market for well under your price point and store it your original rod tube for sentimentality's sake. ;)

Good luck and have fun!!

Nobody loves 7'0" rods more than me but a 7'6" rod is WAY more practical...

When I first started fly fishing (which was just after George Washington kicked a couple of Limeys off Valley Creek), folks in PA considered a 7'6" rod the "bees knees" for all but the biggest PA waters.

George & I still concur... ;)

To put it into perspective, the first fly rod I owned was a 2pc/8'6" 6w (I still own it).

The 2nd rod I bought and fished in conjunction with rod #1 was 2pc/7'6" 5wt rod.

That was my entire quiver until the Treaty of Ghent.

FWIW - You could probably replace that 7'6" Cortland rod via the used market for well under your price point and store it your original rod tube for sentimentality's sake. ;)

Good luck and have fun!!
Hey wait, I don't remember anything about them making it to valley creek, unless they were spies, in which case George would surely have hanged them.

Since you already have the 8.5' 4-wt., I think I'd go with a 9" 5- or 6-wt. and a 7' 4- or even 3-wt. That would make a pretty well-rounded set of 3 rods. Just my 2 cents.

Hey wait, I don't remember anything about them making it to valley creek, unless they were spies, in which case George would surely have hanged them.

Actually the British raided some storage & supply houses in Valley Forge on September 18, 1777 defended by none other than Alexander Hamilton & Captain Henry Lee III in a skirmish known as the "Battle of Valley Forge. They succeeded in stealing supplies and burning a few buildings.

When not skirmishing, records indicate they had ample time to fish some of the better September caddis hatches on Valley... :cool:

History tells us Washington and his weary troops occupied Valley Forge six days before Christmas in 1777 and that he picked the spot because it was close enough to keep an eye on British troops sheltering in Philadelphia, but far enough away to prevent a surprise attack on the Continental Army.

However, I have it on very good authority his main objective was to prevent British & Hessian anglers from spot burning Valley Creek in several angling publications in England and Germany at that time that jointly went by the trade name, "Ye Olde PAFFe" ;)

No my friend, you only need to learn how to wade through all the hype and BS. When I go looking for a new rod the last place I seek advice from is a fly fishing forum. Now if I want a dozen or more new rods, this is the place to ask because there can be no universal consensus with such a subjective and individual topic.

if your just fishing for trout in PA then you already have all the rod you need. If you’re also fishing for carp, steelies, bonefish, bass, striped bass, etc…. then you may need a few more rods. Don’t start drinking the kool aid about needing a streamer rod, nymph rod, euro nymph rod, small stream rod, canoe rod, dry fly rod, this rod, that rod and then the age old question about which reel will balance with each rod. In the long run, you will be way more happy and fulfilled maxing out your 401K over your man cave. learn to cast, enjoy the fishing, and chuckle at all the in depth babble associated with rods, reels, line, leaders and flies used to catch fish largely under 12”. Hope that helps. You can thank me in 30 years.

If you're not that good at casting, you can definitely get by with the single rod you have now. Learn to use it first, catch fish, then be realistic on what you can't do with it that you want to do. Not making perfect casts doesn't count in that decision.

I'm not sure what you mean by 2 universal rods. You can do drys, nymphs, wets, and small streamers with the 8'6" 4wt while fishing for trout. The first rod I bought was an old used Sage 8'6" 5wt, 2 piece, and I used it for all those flies. Caught fish too. I've since bought a couple 4 piece rods, a 9' 5wt & 6wt, not because I really needed them but because I thought I needed them. Save your money for now & learn to use the rod first.

Back