Rod Building Supplies

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
In most years I'll build a fly rod or two, partly to replace the ones I break (I'm tough on equipment), to add to my collection, or as a gift to someone.

Just finished a new one that can be seen below: this fly rod is 5'6" for a 4WT and is built on a fast, UL spin rod blank.

Anyway. . .
This year has been difficult to get rod building components/supplies due to all the supply chain issues we're familiar with. The blank for the rod I just finished was ordered in June and rec'd in December. A variety of other parts that I ordered this summer have still not arrived.

Few retail stores still carry rod building supplies (FFP used to have a few basics) and I have usually relied on Hook & Hackle Company or Mud Hole. Both are excellent companies with H&H here in PA., however I was wondering if any of you have other rod building sources (not Ebay) that seem to have a better stock of materials this year?

Attachments

• IMG_0449.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
Dave_W wrote:
In most years I'll build a fly rod or two, partly to replace the ones I break (I'm tough on equipment), to add to my collection, or as a gift to someone.

Just finished a new one that can be seen below: this fly rod is 5'6" for a 4WT and is built on a fast, UL spin rod blank.

Anyway. . .
This year has been difficult to get rod building components/supplies due to all the supply chain issues we're familiar with. The blank for the rod I just finished was ordered in June and rec'd in December. A variety of other parts that I ordered this summer have still not arrived.

Few retail stores still carry rod building supplies (FFP used to have a few basics) and I have usually relied on Hook & Hackle Company or Mud Hole. Both are excellent companies with H&H here in PA., however I was wondering if any of you have other rod building sources (not Ebay) that seem to have a better stock of materials this year?

Mudhole is usually a good source. you can try The Fly Shack. They usually have a large supply of rod building supplies and tools.

BTW, what happened to the other half of that rod you built?! :)

That looks like a Rainshadow Forecast Tadpole build Dave. If so, I've done one or two of them as well. Fun little setup.

A few of my go-to's this year were/are:

Custom Fly Rod Crafters: https://www.flyrodcrafters.com/

Anglers workshop: http://www.anglersworkshop.com/

Proof Fly fishing: https://www.proofflyfishing.com/

All good sources. All ship fast. All carry a good selection of building components.

Hook&Hackle is my go to for most of my supplies. If I can support them I do. I just built a 8' 5wt that I got the blank and guides from Hook&Hackle. I did just place an order with MudHole and I often do a Google search for items I'm looking for. I'll buy from most anywhere including some European countries. I know it might take a while to get to me but most of my builds do not have a timeline. I've also done some business with Get Bit Outdoors. With all this Covid stuff you just got to expect delays with no matter what you are doing.

Been a few years since I used them but you may like Jann's Netcraft

Jann's Netcraft

If you just need a few guides, tip tops or the odd cork ring or preformed grip, you might put a WTB in the forum if the rules allow that.

Mudhole uses a convoluted shipping procedure even during good times. The last two grips I got from them sucked.

Dave:

I’m not a rod builder nor do I know what you are after, but have you ever perused Versitex? They are in Spring City, PA.

I became familiar with them back when Gudebrod went out of business as they were Gudebrod’s major distributor. I went there to buy tons of Gudebrod fly tying thread and was impressed with the rod building supplies I saw but then again, I know nothing.

And there is the aforementioned Proof Fly Fishing.

Good luck!

I know you said you don't want to order off of eBay BUT https://www.ebay.com/str/mogoscorkforcustomrods?_trksid=p2047675.l2568#tab1 has some awesome cork. I just ordered from them and was very pleased and came within 3 days of ordering. I'm just guessing they are from either PA or NY. They have a very wide variety of cork and some styles I've never seen before.

I just ordered blank, cork, reel seat from Mudhole. I had to wait a little over a month for the blank to become available. This was the first time Mudhole didn't immediately have what I wanted. Also nice to see free shipping if you buy more than around 70-80 bucks. My blank was a single piece so it was oversized and last time they charged extra shipping due to its size which ended up being an extra 20 or so bucks.

I have enough stuff around to build at least 10 rods or so if you run into trouble just ask. if I have it you can have it I just ask that one day if they are back in stock is a replacement. When I buy I usually order several hundred dollars at a time (cheaper that way). I have a bunch of nice agate guides around as well. I do have to order some tip top those I’m low.

I just built my first split bamboo rod a couple of weeks ago. Not entirely the same thing, but I didn't have too much trouble sourcing the few items that I needed.

After having built several rods for himself, my sons, me, and several others, my father-in-law has decided he has already built his last one - and that I can have all his leftover supplies to start building rods for my own grandchildren. He has everything needed except for blanks, seats, and handles - most of which he ordered from a (paper) catalog from Jann's. I'd like to start out with a slow-action, 2-3 weight, short (4-5') rod for myself since it would be nice to have one for small streams to supplement my 8 1/2 and 9 foot rods (and I don't need to go after anything big right now). Trouble is, I cant find any blanks online for < several $100. Does anyone have an online source for blanks like this? If there's a store in the Harrisburg area that sells them, I can try the next time I visit the kids.
Regards, Glenn

Looks like you can still get Blue Halo blanks for $139. However, I believe the shortest length is 7’ 6”

Have any old rods laying around. Cut the guides off and make it into a smaller rod. I did it to and old cheap spincast and works fine.

I’m not sure if they even make fly rod blanks that small think they usually stop at 6.5’.

Any recommendations on good books or videos on how to build a rod? Making one is on my retirement to-do list.

All good suggestions. I don't have old rods laying around and the ones I'm using are graphite medium to fast action. I expect a slow action blank would likely be fiberglass. I'll take a look at hookhack but probably won't use the guides provided in the kit.. (My FIL eschewed snake guides on all his builds and has boxes of small ceramic ones.) 6.5' should be short enough for small water.
Thanks.

All good suggestions. I don't have old rods laying around and the ones I'm using are graphite medium to fast action. I expect a slow action blank would likely be fiberglass. I'll take a look at hookhack but probably won't use the guides provided in the kit.. (My FIL eschewed snake guides on all his builds and has boxes of small ceramic ones.) 6.5' should be short enough for small water.
Thanks.
Look on ebay...I know a while back I purchased a 6' 2wt fiberglass. There were like 5 or so colors to choose from. The blank was under $40 too.

Any recommendations on good books or videos on how to build a rod? Making one is on my retirement to-do list.
Flex coat had some when I bought my rod building kit. I watched them and honestly they do show you some great stuff but YouTube or free stuff on the internet is all the same. You learn by watching a couple guys do it just don’t watch one. As some show different techniques.

Thanks.
If not using the guides then just buy the blanks itself. When I bought my 10wt I changed some stuff but was cheaper just to use the whole kit. For slower action I would get a graphite.

I use custom fly rod crafters, hook and hackle , gb fly shop , mud hole , American rod builders warehouse , proof fly fishing,. And sometimes purchase blanks and components right from the manufacturer. They are all great place to spend some money to feed the addiction .

Back