Rod Building Question

PennKev, I don't build rods so I couldn't agree/disagree with anything you posted except this: I can't understand why storage and/or transportation becomes an issue unless you are specifically talking about air transportation.

Some people say put the guides on the spine, some on the belly and some on the straightest axis.

The R.L. Winston website has a video tour, wherein they describe how they do it (around 4:15).

Thanks for all of your insights. The knowledge and willingness to share continues to impress me about this board. I look at all of the posts and fondly recall my first Jam in May 2001 where I met so many nice people.

Thanks again.

outsider wrote:
PennKev, I don't build rods so I couldn't agree/disagree with anything you posted except this: I can't understand why storage and/or transportation becomes an issue unless you are specifically talking about air transportation.

Well I've flown a few times with rods and that ihas been a big advantage for me. Even without doing any flying I found that long tubes are a pain in the butt even driving an SUV. Once i started buying 4 piece rods I never looked back. I didn't realize how convenient 4 piece rods were until I had them.

jbomb wrote:
Some people say put the guides on the spine, some on the belly and some on the straightest axis.

The R.L. Winston website has a video tour, wherein they describe how they do it (around 4:15).

Yeah, that is exactly how I deal with crooked ( natural curve, lol) blanks.

PennKev wrote:
outsider wrote:

Well I've flown a few times with rods and that ihas been a big advantage for me. Even without doing any flying I found that long tubes are a pain in the butt even driving an SUV. Once i started buying 4 piece rods I never looked back. I didn't realize how convenient 4 piece rods were until I had them.

Well PennKev, I guess this is where you and I differ. I own 2, 3, and 4 piece rods, and I don't find 2 piece rods to be cumbersome or problematic when I travel by vehicle, even in my wife's Honda sedan.

Back