Rod Build Thread

First guide wrap.

Any tips on how to control thread tension without investing in a device just yet?

IMG 4462

Not bad for a first wrap. Looks like there's a few threads that are overlapping. Might want to consider cutting those off and rewrapping. In fact, don't be afraid to rewrap anything that's not great to your eye. It's part of the process that everyone does.

First rod I built was a 9' 7WT I nicknamed the "200 yarder" not because I thought it can throw a line that far but because I think that's about how much thread I used.

Keep going!

If you're not ready to invest in a thread carriage (a lot of folks don't) consider the coffee cup and book method. Simply put, drop you thread spool into a coffee cup and run the thread thru a book. The weight of the book's pages will provide the tension you're looking for. Stack a couple of book or put something with a little weight on top to get to the tension you're looking for.

Not bad for a first wrap. Looks like there's a few threads that are overlapping. Might want to consider cutting those off and rewrapping. In fact, don't be afraid to rewrap anything that's not great to your eye. It's part of the process that everyone does.

First rod I built was a 9' 7WT I nicknamed the "200 yarder" not because I thought it can throw a line that far but because I think that's about how much thread I used.

Keep going!

If you're not ready to invest in a thread carriage (a lot of folks don't) consider the coffee cup and book method. Simply put, drop you thread spool into a coffee cup and run the thread thru a book. The weight of the book's pages will provide the tension you're looking for. Stack a couple of book or put something with a little weight on top to get to the tension you're looking for.
I used the cup and book method…I guess I need a heavier book.

Thanks for the feedback!

Keep going!

I used the book and cup method too . For about two years . It worked well , depending on the book you use . I would alway mark the page that I found the right tension at so that if you have to stop and start you get the same tension, you may also have to put another book on top to get the tension right . Experiment it is all about having fun and enjoying the process.
Also don’t be scared to rewrap anything you don’t like , the cleaner the wrap will give better results when time finish them .

Agree with cup and book from above for tension control. One thing - I help a group of new rod builders and the cheap rodbuilding stands have poor tension control - it really messes up some of the folks until we fix tings.

A couple things that help me are to make sue the guide feet are well prepped - it makes life so much easier when wrapping.
Also I really try to get the length of each wrap the same on both sides of the guide - I have a metric ruler and measure to the millimeter.

Also just practice wraps - don't be afraid to cut off and re-wrap - plenty of thread on a spool. get everything the way you like before epoxy.

And after 20 or 30 rods I finally made a few that were good! LOL!

Jim:

A thousand years ago I rebuilt a couple of rods. Back then I had this cheapo wooden hand wrapping gizmo made of wood that I clamped to a table that I probably bought from Dale Clemens' shop.

All this gizmo had was a stick to hold a spool of thread and an adjustable arm with a thread tensioner on the end. There was nothing to hold the rod or rod sections.

FWIW - Mud Hole sells these which look identical to the tensioner I had on my gizmo which worked better than a book & cup.

If you bought one, it wouldn't be hard to come up with something similar to what I used a long time ago with great results.

I'll look for some pictures but in the meantime...

Good luck

I say if you are going custom make it look CUSTOM! Why make it look store bought? If ya want store bought look just go buy that. Make it special! Make it your own! On that note I've seen some amazing looking black and grey rods that really pop in the end! There really is no such thing as a boring color if you do it right!

A matter of taste I suppose.

Craftsmanship and aesthetics are two separate things and there's a maybe not-so-fine line between gaudy and classy. For a time, I dabbled in fancy grips, feather inlays. Went back to building my rods "clean" and focused on finish work and subtle accents. Never looked back.

Can always use a bobbin

Can always use a bobbin

If you wrap rod building thread with a bobbin the way you tie flies, you will be imparting a half twist to the thread with each wrap. That thread twisting MAY be noticeable on a guide or ferrule wrap further down meaning it will look uneven.

The solution is to hold the bobbin flat while spinning the rod or rod section. That's easy if you have three hands, not so easy if have two unless you secure the bobbin somehow... ;)

I've built only one fly rod, couple spinning rods, and one ice rod.

WRT the fly rod....All of my other fly rods (purchased) have snake guides, my home built fly rod was built with single foot Fuji alconite insert guides = way faster/easier casting. Now that I know the difference, I would never use snake guides on a fly rod unless I was trying to keep the budget down as there is night/day difference in casting/smoothness IMO. Single foot guides supposedly bring the weight down but if you can get single footers with inserts, it's even better. Get ceramics in ALL guides, not just the strippers.

My build was 8' 4wt, MHX blank (4 piece).
I can't recall ever having used a rod with snake guides since my father-in-law only ever builds them with single foot ceramic guides. I don't know how they compare to snakes in performance, but I've made no complaints. The second rod I built had single foot guides that had no inserts (came as part of a kit from Hook & Hackle). If the recipient of that rod complains, I'll replace with the Fujis.

A couple things that help me are to make sue the guide feet are well prepped - it makes life so much easier when wrapping.

Also just practice wraps - don't be afraid to cut off and re-wrap - plenty of thread on a spool. get everything the way you like before epoxy.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

Yes, do both of these. Filing guide feet is part of the feeling that you're working with precision (along with all the other details you wind up obsessing over). Birchwood Casey touch-up paint/bluing pens do a good job of covering the bare metal, but your results may vary.

First guide wrap.

Any tips on how to control thread tension without investing in a device just yet?
Have you tried inspecting your work without adequate lighting and no magnification? ;)
Kidding aside, anyone who has wrapped a guide produced similar results on the first try.
I "invested" in a kit that included a cradle and two tensioners - which has worked out pretty well for me.
I found that the "wrap-and-pack" method works pretty well. Popsicle sticks and thumbnails do okay for packing wraps as long as there are no burrs to snag things.
Sometimes slight bumps can be fixed with a burnishing tool. I use the smooth and round clip on the top of a plastic highlighter, unless my thread is actually wrapped over other thread. Overwraps can only be fixed by backing up and doing it over.

I called mine the 20-footer since that's how far away I needed to be to NOT see all my mistakes.

I called mine the 20-footer since that's how far away I needed to be to NOT see all my mistakes.
I personally like the small blemishes on my rods. I think they make it more unique which IMO a DIY home build should be. I have a couple of rods where I broke a guide fishing. When I repair it by installing a new guide, I always use contrasting thread wraps so the repair stands out. Good streamside conversation piece and serves as a visual reminder of the work you accomplished and the $ you saved :)

The only problem is that I built so many rods, and my collection was already reaching silly.
I moved my gear to the backside of the workbench, I'll tie flies this winter. This one was a fun 7.5' 3wt glass rod.
Mike B
20230210 195500

As we grow our rod collections, I'm wondering how hard it would be to donate one or a few to an outfit like Project Healing Waters. Does anyone on this board work with/for an organization like that? It shouldn't be too hard to etch "For a Veteran" in front of the hook keeper.

I see that Casting for Recovery holds an auction in the fall and people donate trips, flies, rods, etc. Proceeds can be donated to your local chapter. I can get you a contact if you like.

I tie and donate flies to this program and was thinking of creating an auction item this year (not a rod because this is my first build!). CfR helps women with breast cancer which is a cause that hits home for me.

I see that Casting for Recovery holds an auction in the fall and people donate trips, flies, rods, etc. Proceeds can be donated to your local chapter. I can get you a contact if you like.

I tie and donate flies to this program and was thinking of creating an auction item this year (not a rod because this is my first build!). CfR helps women with breast cancer which is a cause that hits home for me.
Sounds like a good group. I expect contact information can just be posted on this thread - or on another forum like Off the Water so everyone can see it. An auction could be posted on the Events forum.

That's a great idea. I'd be interested in that too. I mostly build to build or to gift anyway. I haveore rods than I can fish. I'll be looking into that as well!

Back