Rod Blanks?

D

delfam

looking into making my first rod, but just wondering some stuff, should I get a kit or buy the stuff seperately?

Also I'm looking for an all-around rod so I was probably going to get a 9' 5wt, but I'm not sure on action, I usually nymph so I was thinking maybe medium fast?

Also any rod blank suggestions, I'm looking on only spending around $150 for the whole rod. Thanks!

I like kits, which I don't think is the norm.

If I get a kit from say Cabela's I always get the premium kit whic hcomes with better hardware and singlefoot guides.

I purchased a Loomis GL3 kit from Cabelas a few years ago for $144. It was in the bargin cave.

The problem I see with fly shops is they always try and over-sell you stuff when it comes to rod building. Plus you usually have to wait a couple weeks for them to order it and then a couple more until it's shipped.
However, teh up-side of a fly shop is that they can kinda custom build you a kit and you can get the best of both worlds.

As far as what rod to build: St. Croix. You'll get a really nice rod for $150 in materials.

what action would you suggest, I have only had one rod so I'm not even sure what action I would like. I mainly nymph but also do dries.

I'm not big on action. I build just to build and think I can adapt to fish with any rod.

I don't think you can go wrong with a med/fast as an all-around rod.

The med/fast will allow you to roll cast and water-haul a string of nymphs. It will also let you punch dries under overhanging limbs.

I am very fond of the St. Croix Avid (I own 4; some duplicates).
I think the next step down is a good first build and is not as expensive as the Avid. However, I don't know off the top of my head what the next step down is (Riegn or Impierial).

Although, and Avid blank is $100, cork is $15, guides $15, and a reel seat is around $25. this puts you around $150 plus of minus $20 depending on quality of the components.

I would take you time and make it nice whatever you decide to build.

MKern wrote:
cork is $15

Try $30.

Seriously, I realize that there are grips out there going for $15, but it's a real crap shoot. Even at the $25-30 price range you can get some nasty suprises in terms of quality.

I just don't skimp on cork.

delfam,

Use the search feature on the forum to find old rod building topics. We've discussed getting started several times and there is plenty of good info in past threads.

Kev

delfam wrote:
what action would you suggest, I have only had one rod so I'm not even sure what action I would like. I mainly nymph but also do dries.

You may as well shop around and see what kind of action you like if you're going to invest in building a rod.

Go to a few shops or cabelas and cast different rods. Take note of what actions you like. Throw a few bucks at some flies, tippet, or trinkets for the shop's time. It'll be fun. You may even fall in love with a certain rod.

delfam wrote:
looking into making my first rod, but just wondering some stuff, should I get a kit or buy the stuff seperately?

Also I'm looking for an all-around rod so I was probably going to get a 9' 5wt, but I'm not sure on action, I usually nymph so I was thinking maybe medium fast?

Also any rod blank suggestions, I'm looking on only spending around $150 for the whole rod. Thanks!

Personally, I think selecting the components for the rod is much more interesting and rewarding. You will also have a more custom and better fishing tool at the completion of the project. However, if time is an issue, then by all means the kit is the way to go.

If you are fishing small to medium size streams, perhaps, a four weight would be more appropriate. Ultimately, to determine what you might like the best, try to borrow or test cast a few different weights and models. Nothing beats fishing the rod for a while to learn what you like best.

The Global Dorber Groups make rod blanks of medium action. They are very reasonably priced and made in Arkansas.
http://www.dorber.com/flyrodblanks.html

St. Croix makes a very nice medium fast action rod and they seem to hold true to line weight designation. They make a great variety of models and actions to suit most fishing conditions and circumstances. These rod blanks are a bit more expensive, yet, reasonable and made in Wisconsin.
http://www.stcroixrods.com/category/rod_building

I don't like kits. The reason I got in to building rods was not save a few dollars (just kidding) but to build what I wanted. Orvis and Sage don't but the best guides on their rods but you can.

v/r

Joe E

If you're a real stickler about a rod's action, feel, and castability (which I'm not) you might find building rods an exercise in frustration. As one who builds almost all his fly rods - and speaking purely for myself - it's my opinion that rod action, technical composition, and feel are greatly exagerrated as key components for trout fishing in PA, or FFing just about anywhere for that matter. If on the other hand you'd like to add a fun hobby with a creative component, and enjoy the aesthetic qualities of a fly rod's design, such as the appearance of the cork grip and reel seat, you'll derive great satisfaction out of building fly rods.
By all means give it a try. Most of my fly rods are built for under $150 and I've gone so far as to take a hacksaw to blanks to cut them down to shorter lengths. It's great fun - just don't expect to know in advance exactly how the rod will cast or feel.

Back