Rod and reel advice? ORVIS

L

Loosedrag

I am thinking of buying a used set up I found its a orvis clearwater 7'9" rod with a battenkill reel Its about a year old. I fish mostly for smallmouth and sometimes out of my kayak Is 7'9 too long for the yak or its ok anyone have this set up? comments?
Also how much should I expect to pay for this set up its loaded with wonderline too? Any help would be great! Oh yeah this site is awesome just got here...

if you are looking for a bass fly rod to use for the yak, i'd say pass on the rod. I would want a faster action rod and at a minimum 8.5' length and i would only use that rod if it was windy. otherwise, i'd be waving around a 9'er.
If the price is right, get it - could be a good streamer rod for bass and trout on smaller creeks. If you can price it out new and divide by half, i'd say you have a good deal - and would plan on getting new line (add $60 bucks to the investment) and if you don't need it you're ahead of the game. i used to have a clearwater, many models ago. they've come a long way and are good values.

Back