rising fish

marcq

marcq

this happened to me for the second time this year. fish were rising but i didnt really notice any bug activity maybe a few bugs but nothing that would get fish rising like they were. i did catch one the second time this happened but it was in fast water and in calm water nothing.

These fish are probably taking nymphs/emergers just below the surface and they're causing rise forms just by disturbing the water there. It's either that or midges.

I've seen fish be selective on shucks, especially iso shucks which get washed into the water in droves.

If this is the case, float a PT.

You didn't say what time of day this happened. But if it was in the evening, it was likely a spinner fall

Agreed, probably emergers or spinners. Many surmise if the rises are splashy there taking emergers. This is one of the 64,000 dollar fly fishing questions.

One of the classic fly fishing books is "In the Ring of the Rise" which deals extensively on how to read riseforms. By watching how the trout rise, you can make a good guess as to what the trout are feeding on. It's not an easy read, but it is a good book if you are inclined to spend some time with it.

Reading riseforms is a good clue toward guessing what a trout is doing.

Also, I'm not surprised to hear you did better in moving water. Trout in fast water are there to feed. And when they see a bug or a small fish, they don't have a long time to decide what to do. I would concentrate on swiftly moving water between hatches.

it was in the evening on valley creek.

PAD................it's a little know law of fly fishers the you can't mention the book "In The Ring of The Rise'" without mentioning the author Vince Marinaro..........please don't let it happen again. By all means read this book , but remember who wrote it , there will never be another like him.

osprey wrote:
PAD................it's a little know law of fly fishers the you can't mention the book "In The Ring of The Rise'" without mentioning the author Vince Marinaro..........please don't let it happen again. By all means read this book , but remember who wrote it , there will never be another like him.

You have to mention him? I thought the knowledge of Mr. Marinaro leeched into the flyfisher's system upon contact with a flyline! Perhaps it just felt that way for me. I took my beginner's lesson from Ed Shenk and heard stories about Vince and Charlie before I ever picked up a flyrod.

Marcq,
I've also seen that on Valley lately, I've had success with a size 20 bwo sparkle dun and a size 22 cream midge tied with snowshoe.

jeff

Back