Risers on the Brodheads??

P

Peterm

I have fished the Brodhead creek in Stroudsburg now about half a dozen times since the season open.... While I've caught several fish subsurface i haven't caught any on top. And haven't seen any fish whatsoever rising.... I know it's still early in the season. But not one rising fish seems awfully weird... And have been told fish are rising on other streams locally..... Any ideas???

Water temperature and on/off hatches. Fishing Creek in Columbia County is a good example. The fish are rising in the lower part of the stream but the upper part is not seeing much surface action. Water is about 5-7 degrees warmer downstream in the lower part of the stream where the fish are rising. Hatches are on and off too due to cold and high water which makes things a challenge. Maybe this is what you are experiencing??

Ron

Go in Mid to late May and fish till dark. This Spring has been a roller coaster but mostly a lot cooler than average in the South and North East.

I only fished the Brodheads once, but with the cooler weather this April most risers have been in the afternoon and when the summer gets low around 5 the fishing slows. Cloudy days - like last Tuesday - keep the water cooler and the fishing slows IMHO. Wait. Warmer weather will bring more risers.

That said, the low water April has also brought some awesome days when the sun warms the water to the high 50s..

Seen several risers at the 5th street bridge, but no takers, i have caught all of my trout this year on black kaufmans and pheasant tails. i have better luck on drys in may. best so far 18 inch brown

The brodheads bug actvity varies by year. The first time i fished in, i fished clearview park. I flipped over a TON of rocks and didnt even see a caddis. This was 4 years ago, but i havnt really seen it bounce back that well. Maybe this year will be different.-Kev

Fished it again this weekend.... Again only one fish came to the surface..... Decided to try different stream so I drove to the mcmicheals.... Less than ten miles away..... Low and behold.... Rising fish sipping midges no less.... Gotta think the forum is right and warmer temps will bring back the surface action...

Back