Risers in the fall

Out4Trout

Out4Trout

Spent about an hour again yesterday chasing risers in the Poconos. I landed about 8 in an hour all topside. This was the only brown landed but I did miss a big one that looked like a brown also. All others caught were rainbows. Not a big fish but wanted to show you guys that I am working on my fish handling skills (even after sticking a hook in this guys jaw) . . lol

Tight Lines !!

Nice! Really enjoy fishing the Pohopoco (when its not crowded) - pulled a few nice wild browns out of there before. Wish it was C&R though, last time I was there I saw two spin fisherman with two hefty looking browns on a stringer...

bradtheflyfisherman wrote:
Nice! Really enjoy fishing the Pohopoco (when its not crowded) - pulled a few nice wild browns out of there before. Wish it was C&R though, last time I was there I saw two spin fisherman with two hefty looking browns on a stringer...

I'd rather see slot limits myself. I rarely keep a fish and 99.9% of the time I catch and release. I don't even keep one fish a year most of the time. But I do think that a slot limit and a daily limit of two makes the most sense. Even if those were th regs 99% of anglers would catch and release these days anyways and it still allows the option of at least keeping fish. Would I rather eat a wild brown trout once in a while or continue to consume fish from the all ready severely overfished oceans?

The week before turkey season, I ran into a surprise hatch of BWO's, and thel fish on took them at several different locations. It was nice to get a little dry-fly fishing in. Then the rain came on the turkey opener, so I imagine the hatch has ended.

I'd try to fish today, but I played basketball this morning, am tired, and the weather is deteriorating. So, I'll probably take my wife's dog for a ride, since my wife is out shopping -- amazingly for Christmas stuff. Geez, it's over 50 days till Christmas.

Anyhow, it was a pleasant surprise for me to run into trout rising for a hatch last week.

There have been trout rising to small BWO's on the Brodhead the past couple weeks. On Halloween, they were rising til dark. The key has been to find the slow moving current in order to spot the lazy risers hugging the bank. Typically November has some of the most consistent dry fly action in the Pocono's.

Now if only the Lehigh would get below 400 cfs.....

Now that I think of it, autumn BWO hatches and fishing terrestrials this time of the year provides my favorite dry fly action all year. Way less people, good action when you find risers, and beautiful temps and scenery.

Yea, this section of the PO is abused by the worm dunkers. I remember calling the DNR in March because peeps were dunkin worms for the fish they just stocked when the stream is closed from March 1st to the opener. Also saw two guys bait fishing with deep sea rigs for spawning browns at the dam yesterday. They both said if they catch anything they will be keeping them. Sucks when peep take advantage of a good stream like this. Good news is most of the good areas (IMO) need to be accessed by waders and a little walking and most dunkers are not up for that.

That’s a shame. No matter spin or fly fishing, I always C&R and I’ve never taken a trout home to eat. The only scenario I could see myself keeping a wild or stocked trout would be a camping trip for dinner one night over an open fire. I’d rather release these fish so others can enjoy the sport though.

Looks like you're having a great time, the scenery looks beautiful!

Back