Risen Ichthus 5/6 reel

albatross

albatross

I recently acquired this fine reel for my 6-weight rod. This is my primary smallmouth set-up, and I also use it for big-water trout (Yough or Delaware) and occasionally for steelhead when the water is low.

I had an opportunity to try it out July 17 on the middle Yough. I hooked two beefy rainbows and about 5 smallmouth that afternoon, and I must say I was very impressed with the reel. The drag adjustments went from zero to stop a truck and the adjustment held steady once set. I like the compromise chosen for this reel between arbor size and reel compactness.

First impression is definitely two thumbs up!

Thanks for the good review Alby. These reels have been doing very well since we brought them out. We have a good handful of guides all over the country using them every day with their clients and they just rave about them. There's a good handful of other memers on this board who own one as well. A machined aluminum reel with a nice cork drag is hard to come by at this price. They really do perform! We hope to bring out spare spools and other color options in the future as well.

Sounds like a solid consideration for my next reel.

I picked up the 3/4 from another member and am very happy. I bought it as a back up for me and primary reel for my father in law but after using it I think it may replace my battenkill barstock.

I can't speak for the drag since it is only a brookie setup but it balances my rod nicely, is aesthetically pleasing, and seems like it can take a bump or ten.

Back