Rio Perception fly line review

BrookieChaser

BrookieChaser

In this thread I'll give my take on the the new Rio Perception fly line.

Line - WF 3wt.

Rod - Sage TXL 6' 3".

Reel - Galvan Brookie.

The first thing I noticed about this line was how smooth it went through the guides and how the line really seemed to shoot well. I fish drys all the time and this line really presented the fly well (coupled with a Rio 7.5' 5X leader and a 5X Maxima Ultragreen tippet). I saw little to no rings out of the fly even on long casts.

On long casts it loaded the rod well. I believe it to be a true 3wt.

On the take, well all I caught tonight was 4-5" brookies so I can't say much for the stretch. The feel through the line felt good. The biggest one of the fish actually felt bigger than what he was when he came to hand, but I don't know if I can attribute that to the line. I noticed the take well while stripping the fly back to me on downstream (straight upstream casts) drifts.

I plan on fishing one, maybe two, streams tomorrow that I know hold larger fish. I'll write more after that.

Overall I'm very pleased with my choice of this line.

Interesting choice of tippet material. How did you land with that?

Nice write up. I will say, I had a 3wt TXL and I think it was more of a 4wt (in my hands). A great dry fly rod but only when I could get some line out. I think that the only way to determine if your new line is a true 3 is to weigh the first 30ft. Rio lists it as 135gr over 35' but whatever, if it works well on your rod, fish it. I've always been very happy with the Rio Gold lines. I'd like to cast the Perception too.

Jdaddy, I ended up with the tippet choice from a lot of trial and error. I used most of the popular tippet material (Orvis, Frog Hair, etc) in all different sizes based on application. For me the Maxima Ultragreen resists twisting and lays out better than any of the other brands.

Turkey, thanks for the compliment. I haven't weighed the line to see how it compares to Rio's claims. I may have to fire up the digital RCBS scale.
My TXL is 6'3" but it seems to cast well on short casts as well as long casts. I did cast the fly into some gin-clear still water this afternoon to gauge presentation of the line and it laid out real fine with barely a ring on short or long casts.

Unfortunately for the line review I didn't get any big fish today, just a few more 4-5" brookies. I was "guiding" for my brother and put him on the best water.

Back