Rio Avid Gold vs Cortland Peach

Love the taper / casting performance of the gold.... dislike the sticky feeling/ durability. The last couple I've had seemed sticky through the guides, cover cracked and tips sink prematurely IMHO.

Picked up several SA textured trout and airflo bass/musky line from STP. The textured trout casts wonderfully. Interested in testing the airflo when it gets here. Have a Rio SMB taper laying around here that I was going to try out if the river doesn't dry up before July.

I've been reading this thread with interest since I bought a Cortland Peach line this past spring. I really don't like the way it casts with the my Reddington CT. It seems soft and sticky through the guides like Kray described the Rio Gold.

This isn't my go to rod so maybe it's me but I like my TFO with an Air Cell much better.

What weight are you looking for and what is your general location in PA?

Might have some new lines I would sell (for a good price) or point you in the direction of a deal.

You wrote Aircel, did you mean airflo? 2 very different products. I know that I have a Rio Gold and a SA gpx laying around (plus a few others) depending on the size

Last edited:
I have used Orvis, Sharkskin, and Rio lines and they all do the job. Lately I have bought Hook and Hackle DT lines for my 2,3 and 4wt rods and really liked them. Great price and I heard that Cortland is the supplier of these lines.

Anyone have SA Frequency? I got it for my 8 foot 5 weight glass rod and it seemed to do fine. I tried it with my "new" Sage XP and it seemed to stick to the rod a bit mainly when it was raining. Is that normal?

Anyone have SA Frequency? I got it for my 8 foot 5 weight glass rod and it seemed to do fine. I tried it with my "new" Sage XP and it seemed to stick to the rod a bit mainly when it was raining. Is that normal?

That shouldn't happen with any line although did it NOT stick to the fiberglass rod when it was raining?

If you didn't fish the glass rod under similar conditions I'd wet the glass rod blank and try it again.

The problem could be related to a difference in guide spacing between the two rods meaning the Sage has less guides which I doubt, a difference between guide types, something sticky on either the rod blank or line, or a problem with the line coating.

I'd try cleaning the line with PLAIN Ivory soap and water and try it again on a wet Sage and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't help try cleaning the Sage rod blank with something like Dawn & water and see if THAT makes a difference.

If neither helps and the line still feel sticky one one or both rods I'd call Sci Angler and ask them for an opinion or replacement line.

BTW - Before anyone suggests it, you should NOT have to "dress" that line to make it "zing" through the guides...

Good luck!!

That shouldn't happen with any line although did it NOT stick to the fiberglass rod when it was raining?

If you didn't fish the glass rod under similar conditions I'd wet the glass rod blank and try it again.

The problem could be related to a difference in guide spacing between the two rods meaning the Sage has less guides which I doubt, a difference between guide types, something sticky on either the rod blank or line, or a problem with the line coating.

I'd try cleaning the line with PLAIN Ivory soap and water and try it again on a wet Sage and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't help try cleaning the Sage rod blank with something like Dawn & water and see if THAT makes a difference.

If neither helps and the line still feel sticky one one or both rods I'd call Sci Angler and ask them for an opinion or replacement line.

BTW - Before anyone suggests it, you should NOT have to "dress" that line to make it "zing" through the guides...

Good luck!!
I am still in the early stages of testing both rods. The Sage is a 9-footer and has 9 guides which seemed like a lot. I compared to my friends Loomis and he only had 8. I only fished the line once before with the glass rod and not in the rain. Both rods had similar snake guides. Thanks for the advice and I will be doing some testing in the near future.

I should mention that it is the SA Frequency Boost. 1/2 weight heavier than a normal 5.

I should mention that it is the SA Frequency Boost. 1/2 weight heavier than a normal 5.

I don't know either of the rods you tried it on, but if they are rated as 5wt rods and NOT ridiculously stiff that line should fly through the guides...

...more reason to suspect something is going on with the line.

I used Rio Gold on a few occasions and at first liked it. Mine developed cracks very quickly and I returned it and the second one did the same. Rio has a very soft surface coating. I had another 7 WT Rio line completely delaminate from the core. Fly shop said it had happened a couple times. I like a line that has a harder surface. I mainly have SA lines now. I recently replaced the 4wt with an Airflo WF and it is a super nice line. I think it has increased my casting distance by a bit. I know several people who use the Cortland lines and swear by them.

Back