Rio Avid Gold vs Cortland Peach

jifigz

jifigz

I need a fly line. I've bought and used Cortland Peach for years. I love it. But ...... How is Rio Avid Gold?

I'm most likely going peach but...... I'm willing to try this Rio.... Maybe. Is it a good general line? Durable?

Dear jifigz,

I have a couple of RIO lines that I bought as closeouts at Sierra Trading post. They are 5 and 6 wt lines but I'm not exactly sure of the model name of the line? I'm thinking they may be RIO Avid Trout? They work just fine though. Check Sierra Trading Post for closeouts, they often have real bargains. Here is SA Mastery fly line in WF4 to WF6 for $ 34.99. It's a good line if you fish WF lines. https://www.sierra.com/scientific-anglers-mastery-gpx-fly-line-weight-forward~p~1mmhd/?filterString=fishing-and-fly-lines~d~132/

I just ordered RIO Mainstream Bass line in 7 and 8 wt. For $ 39.99 for a full 100 foot bass line I'll fish it until destruction even if it sucks.

I also have about a dozen Cortland 444 peach lines and if I ever need to replace them I will buy the peach again. They are about $ 60.00 a line and that is my limit for a fly line. You may want to check Hook and Hackle too. I kind of think their H-Floater line is actually 444 peach dyed a funky olive color. It seems to cast and fish the same.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I've owned and used Rio lines.... They have been fine. So have SA been fine.

Honestly the choice is hinging on online availability and how quick it can get to me. If that wasn't an issue it would be Peach. I might order from fly fishers online..... Never ordered from them before. Only ever shopped in person there. In person isn't an option for this line purchase.

Dear jifigz,

If by fly fishers on-line you mean Fly Fishers Paradise in State College I have ordered from them many times and never waited more than 2 days to get my stuff in Harrisburg.

You might also want to look at Fly Shack for line. It's always 2 or 3 days time for me when I order on-line.

Regards,

Dear jifigz,

If by fly fishers on-line you mean Fly Fishers Paradise in State College I have ordered from them many times and never waited more than 2 days to get my stuff in Harrisburg.

You might also want to look at Fly Shack for line. It's always 2 or 3 days time for me when I order on-line.

Regards,

Yes sir, FFP in State. I've shopped at the store a lot but never online.

Thanks Tim Murphy.

@TimMurphy $27.99

@TimMurphy $27.99

Dear Shawn,

That's a great price but I think that might be the 80-foot version at that price. I ordered the 100-foot versions because I will be replacing 105-foot fly lines with them. I liked the old days; a standard fly line was at least 90 feet and 7 weight and up in WF were 105 feet. Since no fish ever has taken me to my backing, I'd like to keep my reels looking full of the right length of line.

Yes, I am WEIRD! ;)

Regards,

Tim,

I ordered the peach from fly fisher's paradise.

Speaking of fly line length, Rio Avid is only 70', the peach is 90'. Not that it matters to me..

Tim,

I ordered the peach from fly fisher's paradise.

Speaking of fly line length, Rio Avid is only 70', the peach is 90'. Not that it matters to me..
Dear jifigz,

It only matters to me in that I like the cosmetics of a properly filled reel. I could do 98% of my fishing with a 40- or 50-foot line with absolutely no problems. I just like things to look good. Like I said, I'm weird!

Regards,

I need a fly line. I've bought and used Cortland Peach for years. I love it. But ...... How is Rio Avid Gold?

I'm most likely going peach but...... I'm willing to try this Rio.... Maybe. Is it a good general line? Durable?
late because you ordered the peach, but Rio Gold is an excellent line and one of my favorites. I am not aware of the avid version though. Although now that the Gold lines are 100.00, I am reconsidering the next time I purchase. There are some price points I won't cross.
I just purchased and using the mainstream bass. Its excellent for the price point. Not as good as others, but can't beat it for the price. Price is important for my bass lines because I step on them a lot in the raft and it gets caught up on the frame of my flycraft when shooting line. Seriously considering a stripping basket, but that's another topic.
FYI: if it's important to you, this line does not have a welded loop.

It only matters to me in that I like the cosmetics of a properly filled reel. I could do 98% of my fishing with a 40- or 50-foot line with absolutely no problems. I just like things to look good. Like I said, I'm weird!
I'm the same way, it's not strange at all. I even like my lines to color-coordinate with reels/rods. Aesthetic perfection is the start of a good fly fishing "high", gets one in the right state of mind.

My preferred bass line is a Cortland Fairplay...... That's all you need

Yes, Sierra Trading is a great place to make a purchase at reduced prices. Be patient. It may take a few more days for arrival however.

late because you ordered the peach, but Rio Gold is an excellent line and one of my favorites. I am not aware of the avid version though. Although now that the Gold lines are 100.00, I am reconsidering the next time I purchase. There are some price points I won't cross.
I just purchased and using the mainstream bass. Its excellent for the price point. Not as good as others, but can't beat it for the price. Price is important for my bass lines because I step on them a lot in the raft and it gets caught up on the frame of my flycraft when shooting line. Seriously considering a stripping basket, but that's another topic.
FYI: if it's important to you, this line does not have a welded loop.
The "avid" is a mid-price range line. I have never purchased a high end Rio line, but have purchased Mainstreams over the years. The Avid comes in a "gold' and a "grand" model. I don't know, maybe I will pick one up at some point to try.

I am not into spending $100 on a piece of long and slender plastic.

A 444 Peach is a spot on, middle of the AFFTA ranges for every size fly line. In other words, true to weight.

The Rio Avid Gold line appears to be just shy of a 1/2 size heavier.

Something to consider if you are happy with the way the Peach performs for you.

A 444 Peach is a spot on, middle of the AFFTA ranges for every size fly line. In other words, true to weight.

The Rio Avid Gold line appears to be just shy of a 1/2 size heavier.

Something to consider if you are happy with the way the Peach performs for you.
Sure. I have always loved Peach. Honestly, if it will slide through the guides and cast well, I will like it. I am adaptable.

The cost of fly lines is just plain stupid. I spent $74 on the peach I just ordered. That is crazy.

I'm just curious to what rod you are using for the line.
If it is a more traditional flexing rod I would have recommended the Cortland Sylk. I also really like the Cortland Spring Creek.

What pricing in fly fishing isn't stupid... ;)
I know lol. Fishpond dry bag is $250. I bought a Gamagatsu(spelling?) for $19.99. Was out in a couple rain storms and everything stayed dry. 🤷🏻‍♂️ attach anything to “fly fishing” and the price goes up crazy.

Back