Richardson Chest Fly Boxes

I've owned a Richardson 4-drawer box since 1973. Before purchasing the box, I carried many fly boxes which I interchanged as the season progressed and hatches changed. As I believe you can guess where I a going with this, one day I found myself in the middle on a heavy mayfly hatch without a single fly to approximate he naturals. Suffice it to sway that I've not found myself in that situation in 38 years.

Never met Mr. Richardson in person, but through several phone calls before his passing, I found him to be a true gentlemen. When I inquired about some modifications to my box (light holder), he gave me a fair price and asked that I make the check out to his church. I was so impressed by this selfless act that I doubled the amount of the "donation".

So not to hi-jack this thread, but a year ago at an auction I acquired an early "FYE BOX" while they were still made in Hollidaysburg...I was considering re-working/arranging it for my own use. Should I consider this a keepsake artifact or just go have fun with it?

Broad_Top wrote:
So not to hi-jack this thread, but a year ago at an auction I acquired an early "FYE BOX" while they were still made in Hollidaysburg...I was considering re-working/arranging it for my own use. Should I consider this a keepsake artifact or just go have fun with it?
Is the box in good workable condition? If the answer is yes I would use it. What good is it sitting on a shelf?

It's been worked over but in fine condition functionally...Question answered!

I do need a new set of straps though...I guess Richardson would sell me some.

I have a 4-drawer box made by Angler's Box & Tool Company based in Springfield, PA. It is a knock-off of the Richardson box. I bought the box 30 years ago and it has served me well. I recently took a spill and banged it on a rock, causing one of the drawers to come loose. It is still useable, but I would like to get it fixed. Unfortunately, I cannot find the company. I suspect they are long out of business.

Broad_Top wrote:
I do need a new set of straps though...I guess Richardson would sell me some.

That's a problem I have, actually why I stopped using my chestbox. I need a new harness or straps it drives me nuts. I wish I could see what exactly they're selling on the website, I've been looking for replacements for awhile.

Those looking for harnesses, check with Bob via the Richardson Box website:

http://www.chestflybox.com/main.html

If he doesn't have them, you should be able to get them made for you at an Amish harness shop. These are often combined with a shoe store. There is one near Loganton, Clinton County, which is not far off I80. If you've ever fished Fishing Creek in the Narrows, Loganton is further up the same valley (Sugar Valley).

troutbert wrote:
Those looking for harnesses, check with Bob via the Richardson Box website:

http://www.chestflybox.com/main.html

If he doesn't have them, you should be able to get them made for you at an Amish harness shop. These are often combined with a shoe store. There is one near Loganton, Clinton County, which is not far off I80. If you've ever fished Fishing Creek in the Narrows, Loganton is further up the same valley (Sugar Valley).
That Amish store is "Kaufmans Shoe". Come up Rt 880 North from "The Narrows". It's about 8 miles to Loganton. Take a left at the stopsign in Loganton (Across from the FNB Bank) it's about 1/4 mile on the left. The store is well marked.

The leather harness is well worth the extra money. Had mine for about 5 years. The canvwad bus ok but required constant adjustment to keep straps on my shoulders.

As I read some of these posts about the Richardson Chest Box it brings some old memories. I remember stopping in Chirp's shop in the early 70's to purchase some of my first fly tying material and just was blowed away with the shop. I could never figure out how he ever found anything in there, but when you asked him if he had a particular item he would come right up with it. Some years latter my son and I traveled to Montana to fish the Big Horn River by drift boat with a guide for the day. As we met our guide in the am the guide asked us where we were from and I told him Pennsylvania. Right away he said where is your chest box and I said what do mean. He told me that a lot of fly fisherman all from Pa wear those box's on there chest when they come here to fish. I just started to laugh and thought wow the Richardson Box has become synoymous with the guides out west. The guide did tell me that the guides out there thought the box's were a great idea. And sad to say that I don't own one. From my understanding from FlyFisher's there is a big back order on the box's now.

I stopped in at FF about a week ago and Dennis told me that Richardson was still in business despite one of the partners leaving, but the backorders for boxes was extensive. I'm just glad to see that the lifetime warranty on my chestbox is still good. Ha! :)

These boxes look great!

How deep are them trays. Is their enough room for a sandwich in them trays?

If you put a PBJ in one of the compartmented trays, and push real hard on the lid, it'll cut the sammich into bite size pieces.

If you spray the compartment with cooking spray, and put two slices of bread with some cheese in between in a compartmented tray, you can hold the box over a fire and make mini grilled cheese sammiches.

The possibilities are endless. :lol:

Good Lord Heritage. My fear is that you aren't joking!

Wow, sounds like a great idea.
My fly box can now be my panini maker..
What a value this box is.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Good Lord Heritage. My fear is that you aren't joking!

Yeah, I was joking. Just some morning humor after the Phillies early demise, hangover kind of humor.

On second thought though, maybe George Foreman and Richardson could get together to create the George Foreman Chest fly box/hiking grill.

I'm still hungover. ;-)

Seriously - Richardson chest fly boxes are awesome. I've wanted one for a long time. Someday......

Great boxes. I have one of the Downstream Products. I like the fact that I can add or subtract how many boxes I want with the pull of a pin.

Me diving into the chest box was due to back soreness. My vest had way too much in it. So I did it as a total vest replacement. I should have made the jump much sooner.

The issues are the little stuff. My box holds all my flies, leader wallet, and a few thingamabobbers. It has a ring to hold my floatant on the outside. License holder is pinned on the strap. Leader straightener and nippers on a zinger attached to the strap. Forceps clip to a strap.

Tippet, phone, keys, shot, can of snuff, and camera were the remaining problems. Plus lunch for the all-day trips. I loop the camera around the wader strap and tuck it under the waders, seems to work ok, though I'm a little slow to get it into action. I use the chest pocket in my waders for everything else except the lunch. But if it interferes with the box or you have no pocket, you need a fanny or something. Be careful with a fanny at belt level, it's real easy to wade over it, so watertight is good. Because my wader pouch works fine with the box, I forgo the fanny most of the time. But it does kind of narrow my wader choices, as many don't have pouches, and many others are too high and would interfere with the box. I need it on my upper stomach, laying on my gut, lol.

I do use a fanny if it's an all day trip and I wanna take lunch/drinks. Most of my all day trips where I can't return to the car are on small water, so the wading too deep issue is minimized.

After reading the comments on this forum and others, I ordered a Richardson Chest Fly Box from the website on Oct. 31. As the order progresses, I'll keep the forum apprised, so people will have an idea of the waiting time for these boxes. I suspect it will be about six months.

Went to Williamsport the other day looking for a Downs Chest Box at Hillies. They are out of business. Have had no success trying to reach anyone selling the Downs Fly Box. I already have one and need another. Anyone have a lead on a box that might be for sale for a reasonable price?

Back