Reporting Poachers/Infractions - Southern Chester County

Is Scott Run Lake closed to all fishing prior to opening day trout?

farmerdave: yes, the PA boating regs require you to wear your pfd prior to April 30. PAFBC offers classes in boater safety for a nominal fee.

I'll answer my own question. Scott Run Lake is closed to all fishing from March 1 to opening day trout season.

yes it is closed and makes it even more strange that those fishing in boats without a child/mentee aboard were not called in by rangers/WCOs.

I was not present at the lake and have no insight into the matter. However, it seems possible that the officer in question was a park ranger rather than a WCO. park rangers are not authorized to enforce the fishing regs, which would explain why he did not cite someone for fishing without a child during the mentored youth day. Rangers do, however, have authority to enforce boating regs on state park lakes.

Tups wrote:
I was not present at the lake and have no insight into the matter. However, it seems possible that the officer in question was a park ranger rather than a WCO. park rangers are not authorized to enforce the fishing regs, which would explain why he did not cite someone for fishing without a child during the mentored youth day. Rangers do, however, have authority to enforce boating regs on state park lakes.

Park rangers are very much authorized to enforce fishing regulations.

Read this for an example of how the reciprocal responsibilities for the various agencies exist:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=30&div=0&chpt=9

§ 902. Enforcement of other laws.
All waterways conservation officers and deputy waterways conservation officers are authorized to enforce all the laws of this Commonwealth, and rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, relating to game, parks and forestry, under the direction of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, respectively.
(Nov. 1, 2012, P.L.1716, No.211, eff. 60 days)

There are reciprocal regulations in place for all the related agencies with a law enforcement component (i.e. PGC wardens enforce the PFBC and DCNR regulations and DCNR rangers can enforce PGC and PFBC regulations).

salmonoid wrote:
Tups wrote:

Park rangers are very much authorized to enforce fishing regulations.

Read this for an example of how the reciprocal responsibilities for the various agencies exist:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=30&div=0&chpt=9

§ 902. Enforcement of other laws.
All waterways conservation officers and deputy waterways conservation officers are authorized to enforce all the laws of this Commonwealth, and rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, relating to game, parks and forestry, under the direction of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, respectively.
(Nov. 1, 2012, P.L.1716, No.211, eff. 60 days)

There are reciprocal regulations in place for all the related agencies with a law enforcement component (i.e. PGC wardens enforce the PFBC and DCNR regulations and DCNR rangers can enforce PGC and PFBC regulations).

There is a big difference between dcnr ranger and a park ranger. Park rangers have no law enforcement authority.

ryansheehan wrote:

There is a big difference between dcnr ranger and a park ranger. Park rangers have no law enforcement authority.

Scott's Run Lake is in French Creek State Park. The PA State Park System falls under DCNR. State Park rangers are DCNR rangers.

I've had rangers in Lancaster county park check my license before.

That may be, but there are still park emoloyees who are often called "rangers" but have no law enforcement authority.
Screenshot_20170329-215150_zps54jveioy.png

Tups wrote:
farmerdave: yes, the PA boating regs require you to wear your pfd prior to April 30. PAFBC offers classes in boater safety for a nominal fee.

Thanks. I think I vaguely remember when that added that. Didn't really effect me.

Agreed on the "Streamwatch" idea. Used to be you knew all of "your" stream regulars; and policing could be done inhouse. Now it seems there are more strangers (+ everyone is packing tacticool gear/guns), getting an honest direct line to a LEO could help. I suppprt our WCOs; it cannot be an easy job. I would proudly wear a streamwatch cap, overlook the beer drinkers but call in true troublemakers

So you did nothing and were upset that others may have did nothing. If I Thought there was even the slimmest chance of a child dying I would have rowed my boat over and reminded them of the need to wear pfd's so the child would live and they didn't get tickets. Instead you choose to overlook this flagrant neglect of parenthood, keeping the child in great peril, while hoping a citation would be issued. I'm guessing no child was actually in danger of dying so that's why you didn't give up your honey hole.

Back