Replacing Felt?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Guys,

Thinking about replacing the felt on a set of older, but still in good shape wading shoes. I have bought another pair, so these are not my primary shoes. The only thing wrong is the felt keeps coming loose. Is it worth changing the felt?

JH

Why not change the felt? A tube of goop and some duct tape and you are in business.

Bill

FFJ,

I agree with Bill, go for it. But I would add these techniques.

1. Pull the old felts off and use a rasp file to scuff the boot bottom, get off al the old felt until you have a roughed up rubber sole.

2. Use barge cement, spread it liberally with a popscicle stick on both surfaces and then stick it together. Then pull it apart until stringy and then put it back together and tape it fast with the duct tape. Press, tape squeeze, repeat. then leave them alone for 24 hours and trim off the sloppy edges.

Enjoy the next two years with your new boots.

Here is a tip. Get some big headed galvanized roofing nails. Use some linemans pliers to cut them to 1/4" long and put them through the glue side of the felt. Instant studded boot.

Mo,

Already pulled the old felts off and need to go get some more Barge glue, that stuff really does work! Had a heck of a time removing the felt that I reattached with that stuff! I like the roofing nail idea, Thanks.

JH

FFJ,

Tom Ferrence (old owner of International Angler) taught me to use carpet adhesive for putting on my new felts. It has been 3 years...so it has held better than the original adhesive. it's cheap too!

David

David,

Did he use the kind the you heat to seal the seams on carpeting? If so, I do have some it in my shed from when I did the bedroom carpet.

JH

by flyfishermanj on 2008/6/1 19:38:45

David,

Did he use the kind the you heat to seal the seams on carpeting? If so, I do have some it in my shed from when I did the bedroom carpet.

JH

He didn't...but I'm sure that would work just as well. I just ran in to my basement to check the brand, but it is packed up (I'm in the process of relocating.) He didn't specify any particular type...if there were issues with some types, I'm sure he'd have mentioned it.

One thing I've often done for a number of years when replacing felts is to put a thin bead of Aquaseal all the way around the sole/felt adhesion point after I've glued the new felts on. This seems to delay, at least somewhat, the eventual introduction of moisture laden grit and whatnot into the joint that often is the cause of felts beginning to pull loose. It also seems to be useful in prolonging the adhesion of non-stitched felts like those on the Orvis Clearwater shoe, etc.

Although this latter is probably less of a problem in PA than out here where there is often a lot of sucky silt around the stream edges that tends, over time, to overstress the glue joint and cause felt adhesion failure.

At least this tactic seems to me to make a difference. But I wouldn't totally dismiss the possibility that the real benefit is mostly religious like when folks hang a dead chicken from their door frame to ward off evil spirits...

My felts came loose this past spring. I reglued them back on with adhesive that I had left over when I replaced the seal on the dryer door. Don't know what kind it was, it came with the door seal.

I got a pair of Korkers for Christmas. The soles are replacible. I also bought an extra set with studs so I have one pair of shoes that serve multiple purposes. Thay are also extremely comfortable. The edges of the soles are set inside the base of the shoe which I think protects them from coming apart in the first place. So far we've had excellent luck with durability with both the shoe and the soles.

Wetnet

I have the korkers too. Although I love the novelty of changing the soles, and the practicality of it as well, I am often surprised buy slipping on the rubber sole edges when using the felts. Do you find this to happen as well with the studs? Before I buy the studs, I wanted to check it out.

I may just have to step more carefully but thats not me.

Maurice

I haven't even tried them yet and I should and will since I'm still fishing in a back brace. My son hasn't had a problem either way and he fished in Jan on Salmon river. He also wears size 15 so he should be able to walk on water. I can't say I'm a great wader. More like a slow speed Gecko but I'm going to see if that might be a problem with me as well. I might just drag out my old shoes and see if maybe you have a point. I love the comfort but I'll do a comparitive road test with things getting more slipppery as the water levels drop. My surgeon will love me! :)

Buy new boots... re-soled felts never hold up as well as a new pair

Back