Reminder to be careful out there folks.

dudemanspecial

dudemanspecial

Don't know the details but they found a fisherman floating dead in the Yough.

I know its not a pleasant topic, but I think we all need to see these things to remind us that nothing is more important than going home at the end of the day / trip.

Report 2 hours ago said he was found in a wooded area near the river. Caution still valid point. Especially when the water is really cold.

Thanks for the post. Hate to see stuff like this, but a good reminder once in a while. Thoughts to his family.

I’ll fish in cold water, and I’ll fish in high water. But cold AND high is not a good combo. Especially on a big river like the Yough. If you need to scratch the itch to get out right now, stick to smaller stuff. You can still have an accident, but if you do, the end result usually isn’t as severe.

Latest from the Tribune Review:

Latest from the Tribune Review:
Confirmed drowned while fishing.

At only 55 years old, I'm wondering if he didn't just slip, hitting his head, which led to his drowning? I guess that'll come out later.

Don't know the details but they found a fisherman floating dead in the Yough.

I know its not a pleasant topic, but I think we all need to see these things to remind us that nothing is more important than going home at the end of the day / trip.
Fished that area many times. Do not go in the Yough
without a staff for support. Beautiful water but unforgiving
if you fall in this time of year.

Yeah. Not sure what that tv reporter I heard yesterday was smoking but I read the trib this morning and wasn't surprised. Could have been something medical that led to it. Even careful people have stuff happen.

I am not too educated on flows and levels, but fished the Yough last season. Weekends are higher levels due to dam releases for rafting, weekdays are lower with less dam release.

Spring thru fall I think weekend avg might be 3 to 4 ft at the Confluence gage. That past Sunday was 5.5-ish. Not sure how it would be to wade at 5.5’. I like to stay shallow there if possible and at 3 to 4 ft on the gauge there isn’t a whole lot of water that is much shallower than that. Sure there is some shallower where you get-in at the commonly accessed areas but I am having a hard time picturing where is wade-able at 5.5’ between confluence and ramcat anyway. I don’t know the other areas on downstream, so not to say there isn’t any. He might not have been wading either I guess.

The water there is deceiving. Kind of quietly relentless in flow even at lower gauge levels. You can get lulled into underestimating a slip.

Thanks for the reminder!

Sorry to hear.

I had a harrowing experience last spring on the Little J. Water was clear but running high, about 550 cfm. The current even close to the bank was strong, but my cognitive dissonance was stronger. 😁 Ended up going for a swim and a short float trip downstream. Thankfully I had cinched up my wading belt but I still got a soaking. This was in March and that water was damned cold. The only saving grace was that the sun was shining and it was about 60 degrees. I was a long hike up the canyon from my vehicle. I decided to hike up the hill to a sunny spot and strip down, so I stripped to my boxers and sat on a log in the sun while my clothes air dried on a limb. A short while later a man came by walking his dog and we had a good laugh at my expense.

Lesson learned.

I am not too educated on flows and levels, but fished the Yough last season. Weekends are higher levels due to dam releases for rafting, weekdays are lower with less dam release.

Spring thru fall I think weekend avg might be 3 to 4 ft at the Confluence gage. That past Sunday was 5.5-ish. Not sure how it would be to wade at 5.5’. I like to stay shallow there if possible and at 3 to 4 ft on the gauge there isn’t a whole lot of water that is much shallower than that. Sure there is some shallower where you get-in at the commonly accessed areas but I am having a hard time picturing where is wade-able at 5.5’ between confluence and ramcat anyway. I don’t know the other areas on downstream, so not to say there isn’t any. He might not have been wading either I guess.

The water there is deceiving. Kind of quietly relentless in flow even at lower gauge levels. You can get lulled into underestimating a slip.

Thanks for the reminder!

Sorry to hear.
I only ever fished the Yough once and it was right at Ohiopyle. I was impressed with the size of the boulders. Lots of scary drop offs from knee deep into much deeper water. Caution absolutely required. And that was at lower summertime flows. Had a blast catching smallish rainbows.

Sunday flows on the Yough were 5.6 ft at Confluence equivalent to 5200 Cubic Feet per Second (CFS). In general I don't like to wade the Yough over about 1600 CFS, though I suppose one could pick their spots up to maybe 2500 CFS. Wading it at over 5000 CFS is asking for trouble.

Gotta be careful for sure.
I don't even go there if the flow is over 1,000 CFS

I had a harrowing experience last spring on the Little J. Water was clear but running high, about 550 cfm. The current even close to the bank was strong, but my cognitive dissonance was stronger. 😁 Ended up going for a swim and a short float trip downstream. Thankfully I had cinched up my wading belt but I still got a soaking. This was in March and that water was damned cold. The only saving grace was that the sun was shining and it was about 60 degrees. I was a long hike up the canyon from my vehicle. I decided to hike up the hill to a sunny spot and strip down, so I stripped to my boxers and sat on a log in the sun while my clothes air dried on a limb. A short while later a man came by walking his dog and we had a good laugh at my expense.

Lesson learned.
I don't fish the Little J unless the flows are under 500, even then there are certain spots that I won't wade until it gets closer to 300.

I've fished some big rivers. My hairiest was in the salt. Wading near the bank when I stepped into a hole and went in up to my neck. Skivvy stains for sure.

Wading high water is something i only like to do in spots that i know very well and have waded a bunch before. Then its easy to know where you can and can't go

If you only fish blue lines for Gemmies, you don't gotta worry about wading in over your waders most times.

Not my style of fishing. I never worry about wading when in my boat though, haha

If you only fish blue lines for Gemmies, you don't gotta worry about wading in over your waders most times.
Very true but I've come closer to being killed on a stream I could jump across than I have on much larger waters.

Back