Regional opening day

We (MCTU) had another very successful Opening Day providing hot food, snacks and beverages and merchandise(we sell flies, hats, coffee mugs and t-shirts) to the hordes of anglers who flock to the Muddy Creek watershed. I was stationed at the High Rock stand, it was a blast talking to the anglers, giving fly casting lessons and fly fishing instruction to what started out as one guy with a new flyrod whom had never fly fished before.

One of the fun things about interacting with the "couple times a year" trout fisherman is hearing the misinformation and conviction of false assertions. I like to inspect the stringers as they come by and admire their catch, all the while looking at the fins and coloration for indicators of wild brown trout. The explaining the difference. Most folks get very excited to learn new things, some however, not so much...

Here are some things I learned from some of the folks I interacted with.

1. The regional opening day is stupid because its too cold and kids don't get to enjoy it. the F&BC only changed it so the politicians could fish two opening days. I tried to explain it was changed to extend the season due to typical warmer temperatures in June in SEPA. I was told that was BULLSH$T. And that I probably believe everything the government tells me.

2. Muddy Creek, or rather the north branch is Navigable water. And the posted stretch upstream OK to fish even though its posted. I explained the whole navigable issue(little J court case, DEP navigable list and its invalidity in law, etc) And was told as a double down that The "Game Warden" showed him a book with it in it and told the guy if he throws you out, call me...

3. Always a good one...That the "Natives" (wild brown trout)only get so big because when you catch them they are always 5-10" and the state don;t stock them that small. After explaining umpteen times that technically they are wild fish or streamborn but not "native" to this continent and that Brook trout are the only native salmonoid to PA, I was informed of an isolated population of rare wild fish in York County. Apparently according to this dude, they have purple, blue, yellow, red and green spots. they only get to 6" long and exist in a 1/4 mile stretch of a small stream right upstream of the confluence of a bigger stream. I said are sure they are not Brook Trout, he said "No, they are natives" I said well they have to be either brook brown or rainbow trout...he said no these are called native trout. He was obviously not a biologist.(and neither am I) so I left it there.... :roll:

4. On a leisurely trip over to the bridge hole to see how the folks were doing I saw this guy yank and bank another rainbow and put it on a chain stringer...alongside another 8-9 trout. He had his wife and young child with him and his son up on the bridge. An old guy walking past said hey you can only have four on that stringer and still fish. He said no, he is keeping all his families fish on the stringer(his wife and daughter were not even fishing). Old guy says well you can get a hefty fine for that. SMH!

Anyway the objective on our part is to share knowledge with the fishing community on Opening day and hopefully make a few bucks. We were successful on both counts despite the failed attempts listed above.

Good stuff.

Maurice,
Welcome to my world in many varied settings.
Mike

PS I liked #1. I thought I had heard it all about the early opener. You could have told the guy that you know the originator and given him his number.

And thanks for sharing a few fly fishing tips with the new fly angler.

You, and your club, do so many great things for the fish, the anglers, and the landowners.

Mike wrote:
Maurice,
Welcome to my world, including here at times.
Mike

PS I liked #1. I thought I had heard it all about the early opener. You could have told the guy that you know the originator and given him his number.

And thanks for sharing a few fly fishing tips with the new guy.

:-o :lol:

I was out for the opener, and it looked like everyone had a good time.

The one thing I noticed though....alot!....is guys with a full stringer (5 fish) disappear and reappear in another section of stream with an empty stringer. :roll: One guy in particular was a FFer and was slaying them!! BTW, FFing for these fish every opening day is killer (figuratively, of course).

I lot of guys just keep catchin' and killin' more than their limit with little or no chance of being caught by the WCOs, since they can't cover 1/3 of the streams in the state in one day. So it's more or less everyone on the honor system. :-?

If everyone played by the rules and C&R'd all their fish after keeping a limit, the stream would fish well and everyone could have fun fishing the stream for weeks to come. Oh well.

The water was 44 deg F and gin clear in northern Berks and Lehigh Co yesterday, so I only saw two limits and heard of two more. Catches were pretty spotty, although at the stocking points a number of individuals seemed to have at least caught a fish or two. Lakes, on the other hand, were very slow....Leaser and Kaercher.

Small streams seemed to be fishing better than larger ones based on what we observed along Maiden, Ontelaunee, Pine Ck, and Mill Ck, west of Hamburg and, surprisingly, the small stocked streams were already showing signs of getting low. Kaercher Ck Lk seemed to fish better than Leaser.

There are plenty of trout remaining in all of the waters that we visited and on Maiden Ck there was one stocking point that was not fished. A few fly anglers did poorly in the morning, but as we left them at about 12:30 a nice caddis hatch was starting on Maiden so they were going to give it another go.

8-9 AM angler count on 3.5 miles of Maiden Ck: 80 anglers.

Yep - good stuff.

Was out on my traditional opening day ATWs. Here in SCPA the creeks are at a good level but cold and very clear by opening day standards (I can attest to the cold as I fell and went in over my waders).

I saw few fish caught and had to work hard for a couple myself. There should be plenty of fish around for awhile.

Considering the beautiful weather, there was less angling pressure in the morning than I had anticipated, although I also saw more folks out in the evening than I would have anticipated.
Nice to see lots of kids fishing.

The one thing I noticed though....alot!....is guys with a full stringer (5 fish) disappear and reappear in another section of stream with an empty stringer. One guy in particular was a FFer and was slaying them!! BTW, FFing for these fish every opening day is killer (figuratively, of course).

I lot of guys just keep catchin' and killin' more than their limit with little or no chance of being caught by the WCOs, since they can't cover 1/3 of the streams in the state in one day. So it's more or less everyone on the honor system.

Idea:
Perhaps increasing the over the limit fines would be a way to bring more money into the FB coffers. Catch a few in each county with high fines and I bet the returning later in the day would cease.

Mike,

For what i't worth, I'll give you a scouting report for French Creek below the FFO section. I drove the length of Hollow Rd road from Pughtown Road > French Creek Road > to the bridge at Wilson's Corner. I would estimate there were 40 cars parked. Just estimating 2 people per vehicle would put the count at 80 anglers in that section from the Hollow Rd covered bridge to the bridge at Wilson's Corner.

The area adjacent to the covered bridge on French Creek Rd was closed to parking, as other years. While a few guys were fishing the bridge hole at 11am, there were no anglers fishing the entire section below the bridge for a quarter mile. I assume the section below the bridge was not stocked > landowner issues?

I saw quite a few anglers with fish on stringers. While some anglers drew blanks as always, most of the guys that were decent anglers caught some fish. Mostly caught and saw caught bows with a few smaller browns mixed in. There were plenty of fish for all. Most anglers were happy with their day out.

The fly fisherman I mentioned above said he caught 16 (this was at 3pm). I saw him land a few while he was in sight and don't doubt he caught that number. I C&R'd 20 trout +/- while FFing from 11:30am - 4pm.

The name should be changed to, "National Sphincter Day" cause they were out in groves Saturday.

To often these people are confrontational, drunk or stoned. They go fishing once a year just on opening day. They feel that they own the spot where they are fishing and purposely hook your line and cut it.

My best day was Sunday.....Once I found what the trout were willing to hit upon and what depth to fish at I hooked into a nice trout. And with the softer side of me, I passed my flyrod to a wheel chair bound young girl and she brought the fish in. It was great to see a young kids eyes light up, and the father taking photos of his little girl and all her joy. She went home with bragging rights as her dad was unable to catch anything.

I came home to visit my parents in chester county for the holiday weekend. I went out fishing Sunday mid-day for a bit. Drove through Downingtown and saw huge crowds fishing the East Branch Brandywine in the Kerr Park area. While opening day on a stocked stream is not really my thing anymore, I was glad to see so many people out enjoying the day. The weather was beautiful and flows were ideal. Didn't see too many people along the special regs section and even less on the stocked water upstream of there.

My destination was a small freestone stream that somehow isn't on the PFBC natural repro list yet, even though most everything else has been surveyed around there. I had fished this place only once before, and though I had found some small browns that time I apparently didn't think highly enough of it to ever return. But Sunday's experience was drastically different and I was stunned to catch 3 wild browns between 10 and 13 inches. Ranks up there with the most surprising fishing experiences I've had in my home county.

sarce wrote:
I came home to visit my parents in chester county for the holiday weekend. I went out fishing Sunday mid-day for a bit. Drove through Downingtown and saw huge crowds fishing the East Branch Brandywine in the Kerr Park area. While opening day on a stocked stream is not really my thing anymore, I was glad to see so many people out enjoying the day. The weather was beautiful and flows were ideal. Didn't see too many people along the special regs section and even less on the stocked water upstream of there.

My destination was a small freestone stream that somehow isn't on the PFBC natural repro list yet, even though most everything else has been surveyed around there. I had fished this place only once before, and though I had found some small browns that time I apparently didn't think highly enough of it to ever return. But Sunday's experience was drastically different and I was stunned to catch 3 wild browns between 10 and 13 inches. Ranks up there with the most surprising fishing experiences I've had in my home county.

Nice! You may want to consider sharing the stream name and location with Mike. He may want to survey the stream to get it on the list of Natural Repo streams. Good stuff.

Will do, Afishinado. I forgot to mention my lone prior trip there was way back in 2009. I can think of a couple chesco streams that have lost brook trout populations in that time frame, but browns in the small, marginal streams appear to be doing pretty well.

This particular stream already has quite a bit of protected land around it, and until yesterday I had viewed it as very marginal and not worth the effort to fish. Glad curiosity got the best of me yesterday and I went back! I don't believe I ever mentioned it to Mike as we had mostly discussed brookie streams a few years back, figured they'd get to it eventually as they've been finding new trout streams in that area every year.

Yes, I'm also surprised that we missed it IF it is in the Brandywine Basin. Would be glad to receive a pm as to its location. We have been in the area recently, surveying in the Pickering and WBrBrandywine Basins.

Thanks for the angler use estimate Afish. I'll match your reported locations with my map when I am back in the office and measure the stream mileage involved.

PM sent Mike, let me know if you don't receive it.

Mike wrote:
Years ago, as a teen and long before Power Bait, one of our trout baits was Velveta cheese cut into mini-marshmallow size squares. If the fish weren't biting, we on occasion ate the bait. We usually carried corn, salmon eggs, and night crawlers as well, so the Velveta was expendable.

The guy in the boss hat, me, was a corn guy, but my best childhood buddy was Velveeta all the way.

Wissa_Ward%2B2.jpg

Funny stuff!! Thanks for sharing.

Back