Reel Weight Help

D

DavidFin

I have a rod that weighs 2.5 ounces, and the reel I've been using with it is just about 3.4 ounces. The balance is pretty good, but I need to get a new reel for it. I wouldn't mind something a bit lighter, I think it would balance a bit better and I found a reel I'm interested in that weighs 2.9 Oz, a difference of half an ounce. I cant find one to look at in person yet, might buy it online but is that half ounce going to be too much?

Where do you like the outfit to balance? Most seem to prefer toward the front of the grip. Too light a reel and the outfit gets tip heavy, which becomes a chore to fish with as your wrist is constantly trying to keep the tip up. Also keep in mind when checking balance that when you have line out the balance point will shift forward because the reel is now lighter. I check the balance with about ten feet of line out past the tip.

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering if there was a formula.

If the 3.4 oz reel balances the rod, buy the lighter reel and put 0.9 oz of lead core line on the spool first and then your backing. You'll lose a few yards of backing, but how much do you need on a trout reel, especially one that weighs only 3.4 oz?
I would hope that if you find the reel "in person" then you would buy it from that shop other than purchasing it on line.

I would definitely by directly through whoever helps me.

Good point on the lead. I had a Lamson Litespeed that was unusable without it.

I wound up going with something that was the same weight. I'd rather go a little heavy than a little light, lead or not. There's so much available now that it's easy to nitpick.

Of course there's a formula, but it's a function of the length and weight distribution of the rod. Yoiu'd need to measure a lot of things. Length of rod. Length and placement of grip. How far from the hand the reel is placed. etc.

It's a lever. Standard physics applies. Adding a half ounce has a greater effect if it's placed farther from the hand/fulcrum than if it's closer. For the same reasons, a longer rod takes more reel weight to balance, even if it's not heavier. There's just more of that weight farther out. Every rod is different.

Since you have the rod. It's much easier to experiment.

1. Take rod with current reel. Find balance point. Wave the rod a bit with no line out to see how it feels.

2. Get kitchen or, better yet, reloading scale. Take off reel. Weigh reel with backing + line ON (it's really heavier than 3.4 ounces due to backing and line).

Weight of backing + line = measurement minus 3.4 ounces.

3. Take spool off. Re-weigh reel without spool or line.

4. Add play-doh to scale. You want the total weight of the spool-less reel + play-doh to be 2.9 ounces + previously determined weight of the backing and line.

5. Stuff play-doh into spool-less reel. New concoction will be approximate weight of new reel. Find new balance point. Wave the rod a bit to see how it feels. Compare balance point and waving feel to #1.

It's close. The new reel may have a slightly different amount of backing, so there's a little error, but close enough for government work!

Notes:

- If you don't have play-doh (I have kids), can use anything. I've used a sandwich baggie filled with hardware nuts and then taped it to the reel. Play-doh works best, though.

- Stringing the rod will move the balance point forward a small amount, but that's true to an equal degree for both reels, so you can figure it out if you want to get that exact.

- I tend to like my balance point to be right around where the grip meets the rod when the rod is strung. So, unstrung, that's ahead of my hand, but on cork, not graphite. But that's personal preference. For heavy rod/light reel combo's, I have intentionally added weight to the reel. A little lead core line under the backing will do it. Or I've also bought the lead putty used for fly fishing sinkers, worked it on there, and then put a piece of metal tape (used for duct work) around it to make a new spool base.

- as was said, if it's too light for your liking, you can add weight. But if it's too heavy for your liking, you cannot remove weight as easily. So I'd rather error on the light side of things. That said, lighter = more expensive. So only go as far as you need to.

pcray1231 wrote:
Of course there's a formula, but it's a function of the length and weight distribution of the rod. Yoiu'd need to measure a lot of things. Length of rod. Length and placement of grip. How far from the hand the reel is placed. etc.

It's a lever. Standard physics applies. Adding a half ounce has a greater effect if it's placed farther from the hand/fulcrum than if it's closer. For the same reasons, a longer rod takes more reel weight to balance, even if it's not heavier. There's just more of that weight farther out. Every rod is different.

Since you have the rod. It's much easier to experiment.

1. Take rod with current reel. Find balance point. Wave the rod a bit with no line out to see how it feels.

2. Get kitchen or, better yet, reloading scale. Take off reel. Weigh reel with backing + line ON (it's really heavier than 3.4 ounces due to backing and line).

Weight of backing + line = measurement minus 3.4 ounces.

3. Take spool off. Re-weigh reel without spool or line.

4. Add play-doh to scale. You want the total weight of the spool-less reel + play-doh to be 2.9 ounces + previously determined weight of the backing and line.

5. Stuff play-doh into spool-less reel. New concoction will be approximate weight of new reel. Find new balance point. Wave the rod a bit to see how it feels. Compare balance point and waving feel to #1.

It's close. The new reel may have a slightly different amount of backing, so there's a little error, but close enough for government work!

Notes:

- If you don't have play-doh (I have kids), can use anything. I've used a sandwich baggie filled with hardware nuts and then taped it to the reel. Play-doh works best, though.

- Stringing the rod will move the balance point forward a small amount, but that's true to an equal degree for both reels, so you can figure it out if you want to get that exact.

- I tend to like my balance point to be right around where the grip meets the rod when the rod is strung. So, unstrung, that's ahead of my hand, but on cork, not graphite. But that's personal preference. For heavy rod/light reel combo's, I have intentionally added weight to the reel. A little lead core line under the backing will do it. Or I've also bought the lead putty used for fly fishing sinkers, worked it on there, and then put a piece of metal tape (used for duct work) around it to make a new spool base.

- as was said, if it's too light for your liking, you can add weight. But if it's too heavy for your liking, you cannot remove weight as easily. So I'd rather error on the light side of things. That said, lighter = more expensive. So only go as far as you need to.

You need your own forum.

"AskpCray.com"

I don't know when you would buy a lighter reel just to add weight, lol. But this is a method I've used to add weight to the butt, which is the most effective place since it has the longest acting moment arm on the axis of rotation (balance point). I used a beer bottle of choice, put some quarters in it, then tape it with electrical tape the the butt section. It will actually slide on and off pretty easy, and looks cool, displaying your favorite brewski.

Gamma sells lead tape used to adjust the balance point on tennis rackets. It's very easy to tinker with the balance point with.

Gamma sells lead tape used to adjust the balance point on tennis rackets. It's very easy to tinker with the balance point with.

BrooksAndHooks wrote:
I don't know when you would buy a lighter reel just to add weight, lol. But this is a method I've used to add weight to the butt, which is the most effective place since it has the longest acting moment arm on the axis of rotation (balance point). I used a beer bottle of choice, put some quarters in it, then tape it with electrical tape the the butt section. It will actually slide on and off pretty easy, and looks cool, displaying your favorite brewski.

You fish with a beer bottle with quarters in it taped to the end of your rod?

Well the beer bottle is in my hand, the cap with quarters in it is taped to the rod.

LOL

Yeah I really messed that up when I was typing. Kinda of glad I did, because that's a funny picture.

Imagine the bottle cap as the new butt piece, use something as weight and tape it on.

Back