Reel Weight flexibility?????

Baron

Baron

I'm wondering what it is that makes a fly reel any specific weight? I can understand if it has a drag and is adjusted for certain weight fish but a click and Pawl ?
What is wrong with loading 3 weight or 4 weight onto a 6 weight clicker?

The main difference is the size of the spool. Yes, you can load a three weight line onto a 6 weight reel, but you'll need to add more backing.

Going the other way (loading a six weight line onto a three weight reel) the line may not fit the reel even with no backing.

Okay so that is what I thought. I have a bunch of cheap reels That work well and I’d like to customize them for particular species. I own them. No dollars out at this point.

if it saves you money that's one thing, go with it. Reels and the weight (in ounces) of a rod should be balanced. a 5/6 reel on a 7.5-9ft 3 wt rod would be imbalanced. Although a 5/6 wt reel might balance better on a 10-11ft 3wt rod

I am setting up a Bluegill rod that is quick and dirty for when I'm alone in the boat. So often I row past or am blown past a spot that I would've liked to drop a fly into but am all jumbled up. I ordered a 7/8 Pflueger auto. I have a very very flexy old Martin 7.5' 6wt rod that I will put it on. I might run 5wt line and furled leaders on that. it should be a great combo for when I'm alone way back in the lily pads.

Having never tried one I'm wondering If I'll regret using Double Taper Line on windy lakes. Even thought I'm fishing weed and there is no current there is still lots of wind in average conditions.
I'm looking for a soft lay-down of flies and perhaps I'd get as good of a result with longer leaders and lighter tippets.
Please forgive my foolish sounding questions but I haven't any instincts for FF having done it for less than a year. I am catching fish now......more than I could say last summer.

I don't even look at the reel size anymore. I go with what is going to balance the rod best. I often use larger reels on small weight rods and smaller reels on heavier weight rods. I find most 5/6wt reels balance out a 5/6 rod but they also work great for a lot of 3 and 4wts especially the longer the rod is. Also if you have a 9wt+ most of the time a 7/8wt reel will balance the rod out well and a 9wt+ reel will be overkill and just extra unnecessary weight.

i use reels from 4-7 interchangeably .

i use less backing than i used to.

i don't care if it balances a rod.

if i can swing a hammer for 10 hours, i can fish an "unbalanced" fly rod for a day.

A 7/8 auto reel is not going to balance a 7.5 6wt very well if that matters to you.

When I buy a fly reel I make sure of two things, it balances the rod I want to use, and it fits enough line for the rod I'm going to use it with. Not that it just fits, but fits enough to get backing on so that the rear end of my fly line is not coiled super tight and can be cast or fed out with minimum memory.

I use click and pawl reels for everything freshwater because I like they way they look.

Wow I'm confused now. I came to you for answers and you send me away with a fried hard drive, lol. After comparing your answers and devining the meat from the matter 'I should play around with a few combinations until I feel good about it.'
The Reel is set. It will be the Pflueger Auto (small capacity but on the heavy size). The rod choices at this time are a 9ft 6wt Cabelas Graphite or a 7.5' Martin flexible fiberglass 7.5' 6wt. I won't need backing as this is for Bluegill, Perch and Crappy. I wanted to use 5 or 6wt double taper line with thread furled leader and 2 or 3x mono tippet.

Will this line combo (DT5wt ) lay down nicely compared to the wf6 I'm using now?

That reel is going to be way too heavy for either rod the thing is like 9 ounces. That's like putting a 4000 size spinning reel on a 5' ultralight rod.

Double taper line is fine, I use it a lot. I wouldnt use it for poppers or weighted flies (I wouldnt use it for bass). I'm not sure how important a delicate presentation is for panfish. I'd probably get a bass bug line or at least something aggresive like a gpx or mpx.

You can catch fish with pretty much any rig but there are a advantages to using a rig that is geared towards how you plan to fish. Im not sure what you're currently using but the rig you are suggesting (a super heavy reel with a short rod and double taper line) really isnt the the best choice for any type of fishing I can think of.p

I display my total lack of understanding how rods are rated and balanced.

I know this old reel had been popular once but that was back in the days of fiberglass rods. The balance would've been different. So until I use it a bit I'm not likely to understand a difference. I want the reel for line management more than anything. If nothing else this should provide some amusement for the more experienced of the forum.

With my normal 6wt WF line I have noticed how many fish scare off when the line smacks the water. I thought a DT line would help with that. Perhaps, as mentioned above, casting habits could be improved with practice and added technique. Perhaps the longer 12' leader suggested will also help a lot with this.

Baron wrote:
I display my total lack of understanding how rods are rated and balanced.

I know this old reel had been popular once but that was back in the days of fiberglass rods. The balance would've been different. So until I use it a bit I'm not likely to understand a difference. I want the reel for line management more than anything. If nothing else this should provide some amusement for the more experienced of the forum.

With my normal 6wt WF line I have noticed how many fish scare off when the line smacks the water. I thought a DT line would help with that. Perhaps, as mentioned above, casting habits could be improved with practice and added technique. Perhaps the longer 12' leader suggested will also help a lot with this.

In another thread I gave you some casting tips to help solve the issue of your leader and line crashing down onto the surface.

I wasted a lot of time and money buying cheap and useless gear and tackle when I started to fly-fish.

I recommend you fish a bit more and gain experience before you continue to buy all this new gear and tackle.

As you gain this experience you will become more proficient and knowledgeable as to what type of gear and tackle will work best.

Sound advice Afish. I intend to apply that. I am also having fun. The learning process is part of the fun. I wish I could have the money back for all the wrong flies I bought for the first 9 months.

The ration of fish I catch on the fly vs what my guests are catching on bait and lures is closing up nicely. This forum is largely responsible for that.

Baron wrote:
Sound advice Afish. I intend to apply that. I am also having fun. The learning process is part of the fun. I wish I could have the money back for all the wrong flies I bought for the first 9 months.

The ration of fish I catch on the fly vs what my guests are catching on bait and lures is closing up nicely. This forum is largely responsible for that.

Having fun is Job1.....the rest will come in time.

What makes one rod a 6wt and the next 3wt. Is that actually the weight of the rod?

Oh, and are the eyelets the same size for all or most.

https://www.orvis.com/p/the-orvis-guide-to-beginning-fly-fishing/2H45

Thanks Moon. I've watched most of Tom's Videos and never his books.
These would be very helpful.

Back