Reel Tough to Crank/Turn

jifigz

jifigz

Okay so after putting my stuff away today after a day on a Brook Trout stream I got my leader stuck inside of my Okuma Sierra. I took the 2 halves apart to get the leader out and now my reel is hard to crank. Plus the reel was just plain hard to fit the two halves back together. Anyone know any common causes for this? It is still usable, but it is strange as I can't see anything wrong or out of place. I'm kind of stumped.

yo jif - those O Sierras are about bulletproof. Maybe something, dirt or a piece of leader, is jammed in the rim?

Yeah I am very pleased with Okuma fly reels for a cheaper product. I don't see anything wrong....I just don't get it. I'll reassess the situation and take a closer look.

Check for a bit of broken off leader/tippet stuck somewhere. That used to happen to me quite frequently on a bottom end BPS house line reel...that is now retired out of my lineup and been replaced by a fleet of Okuma Sierra's, ironically enough.

The spool may not be seated properly. Or you may have dirt or line in the bearing. Also check any small pins or snap rings. Perhaps one is bent.

So I took it apart this morning and saw nothing and this time it popped back together effortlessly and is once again silky smooth to crank. The two sides seem to have a bit of play between them now, but this is much better than it was. A mystery to me.

Good. I was thinking in line w/ post #5....spool just wasn't seated properly.

Back