Reel selection for Allen XA 4wt 10'

kirtdog

kirtdog

Hi all. I am new to the forum and was looking for some opinions. I picked up an Allen XA 10' 4wt and need to get a reel for it. I have an older orvis clearwater classic III that I love but I am thinking of getting a reel solely for this rod. I did pick up a spool for the orvis reel and set it up with 4wt fly line but I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. Anyway, the reels that I am considering are the Allen trout, Orvis battenkill barstock, or the lamson konic.

I have been in contact with Justin from Allen and he has been a great help. I am leaning towards the allen reel due to the great response from Justin even though I haven't even purchased a reel from him yet.

What are your thoughts on the reels that I have mentioned? Are there any other reels that you would suggest? I am not trying to break the bank on this one but I would like to get something decent for the money. Let me know what you think.

While I cannot provide any spe IFC revommendations re: your rod, I did have to modify my thinking when I purchased a Grey's 11 foot 3 weight. None of my reels balanced the extra tip weight of the rod. Based upon a recommendation on this forum, I purchased 20 pound test lead core line and wrapped it under the backing. Took a little trial and error to get just the right amount of weight.

That worked well until I walked into The Feathered Hook fly shop and fell in love with a Hardy Cascapedia Mk III 2/3/4. Purchased it primarily to match up with my bamboo rods, but found it was the perfect match for the big 11 footer as well.

Albatross has that rod, or equivilant, and had to use a larger reel to get it to balance. I don't remember ther exact size though. It's a nice rod, I cast it a few times it really throws line well. Just got the 5wt.

I'm not familiar with the Allen or the Battenkill but I have used the Konic on the 10' 4wt xa and I will say this.The 1.5 Konic is WAY to light and I'm not sure the Konic 2 is even heavy enough to balance that rod. I'm thinking something in the low to mid 5 oz range should be about right for that rod.

I have a Lamson Velocity 3.5 on my 10 ft 4 wt Allen Myth. The reel is 5.9 ounces. Any reel near that weight should work or use the lead core trick under your backing. I think you'll like the rod.

thanks for the replies..i didnt think about the weight issue for balancing. that will change my options

I just ordered the Myth 10 6wt. I ordered the Alpha II reel. I had cast Alby's rod, liked it and also noted he had a pretty good sized reel on there. I am looking forward to giving this set up a go!

I have the 10' 4 Weight Allen Myth rod... I use the Allen Trout Reel and it is perfect for that rod.

I ended getting the orvis clearwater LA. It is actually a pretty nice reel and works great with the XA. I have been fishing with it the past two days and have been loving the combination.

Back