Reel seat problem?

1stfly

My friend just bought a Cabela's Cahill rod and reel combo (8wt) and is having some trouble with it. Apparently the reel seat has the "hood" for the reel foot to slip into at the cork end, but doesn't have the "hood" at the end of the rod - just two locking rings. The top locking ring doesn't have a "cutout" or anything for the reel foot to fit into. Since the ring is flat the reel will not stay on the rod no matter how hard the locking ring is tightened.

I told him he should send it back as I believe they put the wrong type of ring on the bottom end. Any other opinions, or am I missing something?

No, it sounds like you hit the nail right on the head. The person slipping on the locking rings must have been sleeping at the switch when they put that reel seat together. Sadly it sounds like your friend is not close to a Cabela's, lucky for me it's only 15 minutes away from my house.

ya somebody forgot the hood for the back end of the reel. thank you china QC

The reel on a cahill slips into the "notch" under the cork. There is no actual top hood or ring. Is that what you have? If there is a hood that can slide its for the bottom and would then have to have been installed upside down. Either way I guess he will be taking it back.

so he's missing this?

Attachments

• cahill.jpg
    cahill.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 3
He has the 8wt model so it is slightly different from the one pictured. On his there is a metal hood underneath the cork to hold the front of the reel seat. On the rear he doesn't have sliding hood pictured, just two locking rings with no notch to slide the reel foot under. I'm sure he won't be happy that he has to send it back, but he'll get to test Cabela's customer service which I've been told is great.

I think that is exactly what is pictured except for the part that is missing of course...I've never had much problem with Cabela's customer service. I think especially since its never been used, he should have no problem. They sent him an incomplete rod...they should send him what he paid for. I received a reel that had a small dent in the spool. I called and they sent me a new one...sent the old one back I the box the new one came in. If he paid with a credit card they rarely give a problem. Please post the outcome when it happens.

Gorilla tape and go fishin take it back later, i have one just like the pic tom posted someone let it get by cabelas won't even blink they can afford to be like that which is a plus for them i guess (still like the little mom and pop shops)

Back