Reel recommendation

SNJChef

SNJChef

Looking for suggestions for a reel to pair with St Croix ART 9 foot 4 wt rod, not looking to spend big bucks. It's for my daughter she wants to spend her Bday money on it so around $100.00.

Thanks

I'm a big fan of my LL Bean Double L. I've fished it hard for years and it keeps on ticking. It's a little more than $100, though. I think the disc drag model is $140.

For a cheap reel my okuma Sierra has been mighty good for the $60 or whatever they cost, too.

I have a couple Lamson reels and never have trouble with them.

This Lamson liquid : https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/waterworks-lamson-liquid-fly-reel-100784642?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp8LBgLz18AIVhaXICh2xgwCyEAQYAiABEgIGufD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is $110. I did a quick search. Maybe can find them cheaper. I either have this one in 5wt or whatever the lower tier offering was when I bought it. It’s nice. Never issues. Sealed drag. But I guesss all reels have that now.

Good luck.

Older Lamson legacy cheaper. $85. Unless the spool doesn’t come with the reel.

https://www.waterworks-lamson.com/products/liquid-black-legacy?variant=38715254800569

Okumas are good reels that will do the job. Look at Piscifun and MaxCatch. In all honesty most reels now days will do the job. There are very few that are complete junk. I actually have a couple $20 ebay reels that perform just as well as the $100 reels on the market.

As posted above Lamson Liquid is a great option for what you’re looking to spend

Thanks all I appreciate the feedback.

Hate to say it, but the Chinese rods and reels have come a long way, and almost every manufacturer is at the very least buying their blanks from there if not simply rebranding complete rods and reels. Just do your homework and read lots of reviews before you buy. I can personally speak for the quality of the Piscifun products. Great reels and I love my 8'6" 4 weight rod too. My son bought a 5/6 weight Sougaliyang reel last spring and I have used it several times and had no complaints. Many of these reels come in under or around $50. I have a 9/10 Piscifun Sword reel in my shopping cart right now for my next salmon rod set up.

Back