Reel Question

F

foxfire

Why invest in an expensive fly reel? I fish mostly small to mid sized streams and find that the reel is merely a repository for the fly line. Feathering the line with my fingers functions as the drag. Now I can see how big waters/big fish would require or benefit from a functional drag, but I just don't get the difference between a $300.00+ versus a $50.00 reel when using smaller weighted lines - other than maybe size and reel weight? Please educate me!!

I would largely agree with you. A $50 reel holds line just as efficiently as a $300 reel. When it comes to reels you're paying for the drag...components and quality. For small stream fishing you'll never need the drag...Nearly all of the fish are too small to require it and if you do hook into a hog it won't have anywhere to run on a small stream. Your challenge will be keeping it away from submerged boulders, logs, and other things it it can wrap you around...which the drag won't help with.

Yeah, more expensive reels tend to be lighter, but even $50 reels will still usually balance a light rod just fine.

I fish a lot larger trout streams and rivers. These waters hold very large trout and have strong current. I feel a good drag is important. I am not talking about Abel, Hatch, or Nautilus expensive, but more like a Galvan or Lamson. Like Swattie said small streams = line holders, large waters need good drag.

Clicker vs sealed drag...... You can still spend $300 on a click drag reel....not sure why you would but you can. Both guys posted valid points. "you get what you pay for" rule applies. I bought a Hardy Marquis in 85. It cost $200. I've beat the s*it out of that reel and it's still alive and kicking. It's also quite light. Is a machined reel with sealed drag necessary? Not usually for most PA streams. If you fish bigger water, light tippets and/or hook big fish, it is quite helpful.

If you are looking to put it on a 3-4 weight for small stream fishing, click drag is fine. As a general rule, a more expensive reel will be lighter, better made and last you a lifetime. If you are fishing the Yough, Lehigh, Pine or Delaware, a sealed / disc drag will help you on the bigger fish in heavier currents. It all depends on where you are going to do most of your fishing, what your budget is and what you expect as a return for your investment.

Prepare for rash of Metalist 1494 posts. Just remember that reels weight is measured in pounds. LMAO

Yeah but so are the rods we fish those Medalists on!

I think if I fished big water often enough (I fish Pine a few times a year, that's it), I'd invest in a sealed drag.

krayfish wrote:
You can still spend $300 on a click drag reel....

Heck, that's ghetto. Check this out.

I once rebuilt a Hardy LRH for Al Miller that he bought in the 60's. New line guard, springs and pawls. Cost me $10 in parts, and it worked like new.

I've got a $200 1494 in my reel cabinet - all One P-Footed out. It was made in 1959, and new in the box - tag still on it. Proof that you can't polish a turd. ;-)

Before the hatchery on Big Spring was closed, the ditch held some very large trout that were not particularly difficult to catch. Problem was they were very difficult to land on the $50 reel I was using in tight cover and abundance of logs, etc. I dropped almost $200 on a Lamson LP-1 on the advice of a friend in an attempt to increase my success rate. i had lost my mind until the number of 20-24" trout brought to hand increased at least 5 fold. I guess what I'm sayings is that you need to consider the type of fishing you do and your budget. Not all situations warrant the extra expense.

foxfire wrote:
Why invest in an expensive fly reel? I fish mostly small to mid sized streams and find that the reel is merely a repository for the fly line. Feathering the line with my fingers functions as the drag. Now I can see how big waters/big fish would require or benefit from a functional drag, but I just don't get the difference between a $300.00+ versus a $50.00 reel when using smaller weighted lines - other than maybe size and reel weight?

We definitely agree on this one.
I've fished PA for over thirty years and have had only one trout that took me into backing and that was in 1985. As some have pointed out, big rivers are different (Delaware River fish in particular) and you will play fish from the reel but I remain convinced that, even on the big waters, you'll do fine with a decent, click and pawl. Many of the reels I use for trout fishing have served me well for decades and I have never spent over $100 dollars for any of 'em....and I'm tough on gear.
It's nice to own high end reels but they won't make you a better fishermen.

Saltwater fishing is a whole 'nother game altogether: much tougher on equipment and you do indeed want a disc drag for many species.

Hardy Perfects will get you chicks. It's science

;-)

turkey wrote:
Hardy Perfects will get you chicks. It's science. ;-)

Yea chicks or bearded hipster fly fishermen that insist on tossing glass, because it is the old cool different way to do things. ;-)

No...Turkey gets the chicks!

Cabelas prestige plus is 50% off right now for Father's Day sale. I own one in a 5/6 and I have no complaints. It actually has a decent drag for a $50 reel and right now it is only $25. I highly recommend it especially for $25. The drag is very adjustable and smooth compared to most reels in that class. Some cheap reels the drag is either too tight or to loose and very jerky. But don't buy their fly line, I bought cabelas wf5f and hate it, casts like crap and floats like crap. Went back to my cheap $40 Scientific Anglers WF5F and it is 10 times better. But what I don't understand is the cabelas line is supposedly made by SA for cabelas. But anyway if you don't have a reel in mind yet, get it. For $25 I don't think you will find anything better.

SBecker wrote:
turkey wrote:
Hardy Perfects will get you chicks. It's science. ;-)

Yea chicks or bearded hipster fly fishermen that insist on tossing glass, because it is the old cool different way to do things. ;-)

I can't dispute this Shane.

David, you have more "chicks" than me.

Orvis has a newer line of clicker reels that I like, they seem quite affordable too...http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7H9P

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the cabelas prestige plus is a disc drag. You never know when you may need it. More often than not you don't, but when you get some line shy fish and are using a 7x or 8x tippet you will. I would put a link up for you but I'm pretty new here and on my phone so don't know how.
Cabelas Prestige plus. They have a 3/4, 5/6 , and 7/8 all in stock and they have some other stuff on sale also so check it out. ( and I don't work for them) lol. I probably sound like I do. Ha

7x or 8x ??? I don't even own that crap. If they won't take it on 6x, you've got the wrong fly.

Really krayfish? Does it matter what you use? I'm just sayin there may be a situation where you use 7x and use the drag, believe it or not. Just because you don't doesn't mean no one else does. Just trying to give this guy some advice on a cheap reel I have some expierence with. That's all. I don't own 8x either but I do use 7x from time to time and I'm sure other people do also.

I can't say I use the reel to much. most of my line control is in the hand. Guess I'm not fishing for the big ones - and then again used the same control at Salmon river last year. No Net equated to no salmon.

Check out the Orvis Clearwater or Access reels.

Dcap240 wrote:
Really krayfish? Does it matter what you use? I'm just sayin there may be a situation where you use 7x and use the drag, believe it or not. Just because you don't doesn't mean no one else does. Just trying to give this guy some advice on a cheap reel I have some expierence with. That's all. I don't own 8x either but I do use 7x from time to time and I'm sure other people do also.

Im sure Kray didn't mean anything by it. No worries. Being an advocate for a click drag I'll add that a soft tipped rod is great for protecting light tippets. I don't own 7x but there have been times on Spring Ck where I'd tie on a size 24 midge and wish I had it.

Thanks for the advice on cheapy reels - good timing too. My older back-up cheap rod and reel combo fell off the rod rack yeaterday and the bolt which holds the handle on sheared off. So I need to replace.

BTW are there rod racks specifically designed for fly rods?? I have rod cases but it's a pain to break down rods after fishing particulary since I have a space to store them assembled.

Back