Reel Maintenance…odd thread pattern found

M

Mike

This is just a heads-up. I was taking a reel apart to do cleaning and lubrication yesterday and was surprised to find that one of the main nuts was a left hand thread, meaning that I had to turn the nut clockwise to loosen it. It was an Okuma spinning reel, but given that such a thread pattern even existed within any reel, I thought I would pass the info along in case you might run into that within an odd-ball fly reel. I never ran into that before in a reel (casting, spinning) and only found such threads on bicycles, specifically one bicycle frame in which the bottom bracket bearing cups had “French threads” and in the case of pedals on all bicycles. One pedal has a right hand thread and the other has a left hand thread.

It's not a cating or spinning reel but left hand wind Hardy Perfects, St. Georges & Bougles all have an "anti-clockwise" (as the Brits say) threaded screw holding the spool in place.

A lot of pre-1965 GM, Mopar and Nash cars had lefthand lug nuts on the drivers side of the car. You could tell because the lug stud was stamped with a “L”

Typical on spin reel if I'm not mistaken

Typical on spin reel if I'm not mistaken
Krayfish, that was the first time I had run into this and it was a particular nut that is universal to all spinning reels, the one that is visible at the base of the shaft once the spool is removed. I have taken 4-5 brands apart over the yrs and this was the first time that this particular nut wasn’t a right hand thread. I was lucky to realize the switch early on because it was a brass nut, which I think could have been easily stripped had I proceeded with more force.

I'm pretty sure that's how it was on a pinnacle and Abu Garcia I took apart. By took apart, I mean disassemble and not be able to get it back together

Back