Reel care tips

Rod, reel and line care is something I'm malicious about. I agree with everything in this article except one thing.

The gentle rinse at least with freshwater. The Salt game I won't comment on.

I'd avoid the rinse though, for PA trout fishing reels. Same with dipping your reel in the water as I see some people do. That backing will take it in and hold it forever. Eventually shortening the life of the backing.

Instead, simply pull all the line into a bowl of Luke warm water. Pull it through a paper towel into and empty bowl. Then reel it through a micro fiber cloth with some of your favorite floantant like Loon back into the reel. The warm water and paper towel will remove any debris. Placing in an empty bowl will keep and grime from the kitchen table and or fuzz from the carpet off of it. The Loon will grease the line, make it float better and glide nicer through guides.

Wipe down the reel with the micro fiber and loon, inside and out. Apply a little Penn reel oil or grease to the mechanical parts.

Grease the rod with the microfiber cloth and a little loon too.

Your gear will sparkle, the line will last much longer, the backing will last longer, and you will cast further much easier and for longer during a trip.

I've been doing this formula for decades after each and every outing.

Back