Redington Link 490-4

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

So I think I need a 4 weight...

I ordered a Redington Link 490-4 as an impulse buy because of a coupon + free shipping that I had from Sierra Trading Post. I got the rod for $171 from $350 to be exact and now my question is this: Has anyone ever used this model before and can comment? It is there flagship model that replaced the very stiff CPX...this rod is supposed to be more forgiving. I cannot seem to find too many reviews online so I thought I would ask here. Thanks!

a "flagship" rod that lasted less than a year before hitting the discount secondary market..

whatever that means

To my understanding, only the 4 weight was on sale at STP...today they have a few 7 and 8 weights. I don't think they are discontinued...but hey, if they are and they are nice...great...if not, there is always the option to return.

It looks like it's still in their lineup. I'll guess it's between a cpx and rs4.

Insanely better than the cpx. I am basing this off the 9' 5wt models. The link is not the best at laying down dries up close. but it is a great rod. Way better feel and a way softer tip than the cpx. The 4 wt probably will be a good trout rod.

BB,

What's the verdict? After one outting, my nephew snapped the tip off my cpx and Redington wants to replace with the Link model. Reviews say that the link is superior to the cpx and actually preferred over the BVK by many that tested.

I returned the rod...It felt it honestly like it had no feel. It could have been me but it was way too fast for my fishing needs. It was much faster than my Scott s4 and sort of lifeless. I think they could replace it with the new Vapen but I would opt for the non-golf style handle and ask them for the cork option. Best of luck.

Meant to put "I felt it honestly had no feel"...darn ipad autocorrect.

Well, the cpx is a board but I felt it worked well to toss nymph rigs from the boat. Punched 3 fly rig with big info into the wind nicely. From my reading, the link is too be softer in the tip and more user friendly. I was just hoping it too soft but if you are saying it feels faster than your s4, I think it will work just fine. Thanks

I was a big fan of the CPS that the CPX replaced. I had a CPX and it was too stiff for my taste. Let us know how you like it Andy. Hopefully its a move back towards the CPS.

Back