Redington Dually 8wt

kobalt335

kobalt335

I'm upgrading my NY salmon steelhead rod, and looking at something longer. I'm torn between a 10ft 8wt and the dually 8wt 11'6". I have an 8wt reel, would that suffice for the dually, and would a standard wf line work?

Im not really looking to do any form of switch casting, more or less just roll casting. I'm just looking for some extra reach.

I'll be interested in the knowledgeable replies.

Personally, I have 6 days experience on the Salmon Rive over 2 years with a 10', 7 Wt, WF line On my last day there this year I saw some guy successfully overhead casting those heavy flies/streamers/whatever. I have no hope of accomplishing that with my current tackle. I do wish I'd waded down and asked him how he was doing it, but I didn't. My best guess is he was using a Skagit line, or maybe a 12 WT, or ???

Apparently DT line is more conducive to roll casting than WF line? I don't know, but I do have a Skagit line on the way. Totally open to learning Spey casting for Steelhead. The most successful guy I saw this year was hooking up a Salmon every 5 minutes while flipping his fly out 2 rod lengths. I was 35 Ft upstream mirroring his casts and hooked NOTHING.

I'll be interested in the knowledgeable replies.

Personally, I have 6 days experience on the Salmon Rive over 2 years with a 10', 7 Wt, WF line On my last day there this year I saw some guy successfully overhead casting those heavy flies/streamers/whatever. I have no hope of accomplishing that with my current tackle. I do wish I'd waded down and asked him how he was doing it, but I didn't. My best guess is he was using a Skagit line, or maybe a 12 WT, or ???

Apparently DT line is more conducive to roll casting than WF line? I don't know, but I do have a Skagit line on the way. Totally open to learning Spey casting for Steelhead. The most successful guy I saw this year was hooking up a Salmon every 5 minutes while flipping his fly out 2 rod lengths. I was 35 Ft upstream mirroring his casts and hooked NOTHING.
I have a 10ft 7wt, and for me just not enough backbone for salmon. I've done it, but not really ideal for me.

I actually have the most luck pretty much high sticking salmon like I do trout in PA, that's why I'm looking into the 11'6" rod. I just want that extra rod for reach. I'm not really interested in the spey casting... yet..

Back