redington crosswater reel drag

stevehalupka

stevehalupka

I usually fish a 6 wt. for steel/pike, however, during the early runners last year, I wish I had a smidge more backbone when I was forced to fish around other people.

I also do a lot of pike/musky tossing in the spring, and couldn't pass up scierra trading post's deal at 65 dollars shipped to my door for the reel and rod combo as a back-up.

My issue: this drag, at it's tightest, seems, well, just junk... Since it came spooled with 8 wt. line, in your opinion (if you have used the reel) should I sell the reel dirt cheap to a friend who is in need of a reel and doesn't mind if it's of low quality, and buy a spare spool for my large arbor 6wt. surge, and line it with the 8 wt, or does the drag hold up for steel and other larger species.

It just seems right, as my surge's drag is much smoother.

I would sell the reel to your buddy. The 8wt line on your other reel should be fine. You may lose a few feet of backing, but really how many times have you had one take you wayy into your backing on an Erie Trib? I'd sell the Crosswater, and use the Surge for sure, if that's the drag you prefer. I've put 6 weight lines on my Konic, its the smallest size they make, and it was fine.

stevehalupka wrote:
My issue: this drag, at it's tightest, seems, well, just junk...

earth_hand.jpg

You should be worried about the drag binding, not about it not giving you enough mechanical force, ergo less mechanical drag, more hand.

Or, if you've got the money, go ahead and sell it. Your friend will probably be happier and you sound like you'll be happier, so its really a no brainer, innit?

Will your Surge reel hold the line and enough backing to make you feel comfortable with it? Remember, using the tiny little thin stuff on your reel to cram more on makes it more likely to bind when its being peeled off than the thicker stuff that'll lay nicer.

Or, so they say. I don't see my backing unless I change lines. :)

I have a redington cross water 8wt I have used up here for steelhead the last 3 years and i have not had a problem with the drag. Most times other than fish that want to run to the lake it has worked great and never failed on me. There are better reels out there but if your only coming up a few times keep the redington. I live here and fish for steelhead around 50 to 60 days a year and never had a problem

Sell it. I have a 5wt crosswater and it is junk. I have been using the reel, but plan to replace it soon. I hooked into a carp last summer and the drag was worthless. Palming the reel was the only way to slow that fish down.

thanks for the replies...

the rod is really all I'm worried about, so I'll keep the line, barely spool backing on my spare spool, and load it on the surge...

Back