Redington Crosswater pole /reel combo?

G

gmillen

I've been looking into a new flypole that was reasonably priced but still quality in the $100-$200 price range and have been looking into the Redington Crosswater and decided to check on here to see if you guys had any pros or cons that you could share about. Or any other pole/reel combo in that price range and would be good for starting out. I will be fishing in small to medium sized streams for brook and brown trout. Any info is apriciated i'm new to the sport.

Thanks Garrett Millen....
;-)

I have one. Even after FFing for 15+ years, I bought one new this past summer. I love the rod (as much as I can love a non-glass rod!). The reel is sufficient, especially for beginners, but the rod is a great stick. I say get it! You won't be disappointed.

+ 1. I have it too. It's not a terrific rod but definitely great for the price. For the type of fishing you'll be doing the reel will do fine. The line isn't the best though, but it'll work.

Thanks it sounds pretty good i might just have to get one!

I bought mine off Amazon and it was lined w/ some sort of Rio line. I have no complaints about the line.

I've heard nothing but good about Redington. I got the 8'6" minnow combo for my small strean (local) rod for 42 bucks on Sierra TP. It came with a nice crosswater reel and the Redington warranty. Can't beat it.

agree with all that was said. I "upgraded" when mine broke to the redington pursuit 5 wt. I like the crosswater for nymphing but the pursuit is better for streamers. the crosswater is Med/fast where the pursuit is more fast action.

The crosswater is the first combo I point a beginner tol

Why not get an allen with a Risen reel and suppor our sponsors. An Allen compass with a Risen reel would be in you budget. I like my Risen and will let you know my thoughts on the compass when it gets in in a few days.;)

I have two crosswater combs one is a 5wt the other is a 8wt. I like them a lot reels are not super nice but they will do for most fishing.

I have a 9' 5 wt crosswater outfit. This was my first trout fly rod. It's a great stick for the money. The reel and line ok, you'll get a season or two out of the line depending on how much you fish and the reel will get the job done. If you upgrade to an aluminum reel and a good line, it goes from a good budget outfit to a great budget outfit.

Back