redington cpx

jabink84

jabink84

I am looking into getting a redington cpx. Does anyone own one and care to give a review? I am told its virtually the same as a sage xp.

I cant seem to find one anywhere to look at or cast.

Its main purpose will be a streamer rod. Dont really want any other reccomendations for other rods, just the cpx.
Thanks in advance guys.

I've cast both rods but it's been a little while. I liked the slightly older Redington CPS better as it reminded me of the Sage XP. The CPX felt stiffer. Both are fast action blanks but the CPS had more feel IMO and felt closer to the XP to me.

According to Redingtons website Unkel Joes Woodshed in Altoona is a dealer. Unless I went to the wrong website though it didn't look like they carry sporting goods. Maybe worth a call though. 814-942-4900

Try the rod out before you buy. I liked the CPS a little better than the CPX but I may be splitting hairs. WMMV

The problem is most dealers dont stock them and wont order them unless you buy it.

With my job, I get a massive discount on redington, sage and rio, so i will not be buying it through a shop. Hence why I just dont go in and order one.

Thankyou for the info on what it is compared to the xp.

This is the first rod I would buy without casting and I am wanting more info before I make the purchase.

I've fished my buddy's 7 wt CPX for smallmouth. He uses it for steelhead and smallmouth. It's a nice fast action rod. A 6 wt CPX would be a perfect trout streamer rod.

I bought the 4 piece CPS in a 9' 4wt several years ago. They replaced it with a CPX when I broke it. I would agree with Student's assessment, I liked the CPS a little better. They are both fine rods, and for primarily streamer fishing the CPX is probably superior.

Let us know what you decide.

Unkel Joe's does have fly tying and flyfish gear. Mostly cheap brands though. pro-line, Frogg Toggs, and cheaper rods.
They might have reddington rods but the selection will be limited. Furthermore, there is no lawn to test cast it.
The tippet looks like it's been sitting for awhile.
They do have inexpensive, but ok quality tool retractors and line nippers that are worth looking at.

I own this rod in a 6wt.. I use ir for a streamer rod and steelhead...I love the rod. A ton of back bone to it....its always a great nymphing rod. I would say if you get a nice discout on it you can't go wrong!!

I have a 9' 8wt that I use for slinging big bass bugs and for chasing large carp. It has a ton of backbone and is a strong rod. It doesn't compare to my buddies Helios in the weight department, but it also doesn't cost over $700!

Overall, I have been pretty pleased with mine.

Back